Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BFing in Public

Default BFing in Public

My DS is 8 weeks old and I am still having issues with BFing in public. We are still having issues with his latch so I have to keep putting him back on the breast so staying covered is almost impossible. Also, he eats for about 45 min. at a time so wherever we are I have to stay there for a long time and hold him up the whole time. Does anyone have any suggestions for making things easier? I am also still worried about what others are saying or thinking about my BFing...I know I shouln't be!!

Default Re: BFing in Public

maybe invest in a good sling. then you can nurse discreetly and go about your business. covers are way more obvious and I think people stare more because it looks like a shower curtain (my DH says). a sling takes practice but it is amazing how covered you are. I use a zolowear ring sling. FYI you may want to post in the other section called BF in public for other ideas. I will say it does get easier as time goes by. remember the most important person to focus on when nursing is the baby. If I am ever nervous about it then I just look down at LO.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

You might want to invest in a couple of nursing shirts- Motherwear makes nice ones. They enable you to expose very little without fussing with an awkward nursing cover.

Holding a baby up for 45 minutes at a time is tiring! You might want to try stuffing your diaper bag with an extra blanket or two, or even a small pillow, and using that as an armrest.

Good for you for nursing in public at 8 weeks! I didn't give NIP a try until my baby was around 6 months old.

Congrats on your beautiful BFing relationship and for NIP!! You will get more and more comfortable with each time. And more and more confident!

Nursing tanks are a great way to stay discreet. My DDs never liked being covered while nursing, but if I had a small blanket close by, I could use it to cover my expose breast if baby popped off unexpectedly.

You're doing great!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I have a bebe au lait and I LOVE IT!!!
    Proud Mom to Natalie Morgan! Born 10-29-07
    **WE'VE MADE IT BEYOND 6 MONTHS BFING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by utsarah View Post
    I have a bebe au lait and I LOVE IT!!!
    Does the bebe au lait allow you to see your LO while BFing? I need to be able to see him and relatch him when necessary.

Thanks for your advice everyone! I really want to start getting out and doing things but my LO is such a chow hound!

I will honestly say NIP has only really worked for us for the past few months. At first it was terrible because DD would pop off all the time, frequently right after my let down, and I would spray milk everywhere . Now, it's no big deal, so hang in there ... it will get easier. I second the nursing tanks. They are awesome, especially if you're like me and don't feel like showing the world your PP belly. Also, I like the Bebe au Lait cover because my LO is a wiggle worm and a blanket over her doesn't stay put (and yes, you can see your LO much easier than if you were using a blanket). I don't use it if I'm in the company of people whom I feel comfortable with, but it's nice to have when you need a little more privacy. Also, it's great for distracted LO's. Keep up the good work !
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Quote Originally Posted by argecash View Post
    Does the bebe au lait allow you to see your LO while BFing? I need to be able to see him and relatch him when necessary.
    Yes, I believe it does allow you to see the baby. I used a hooter-hider (you can buy them on ebay or make one). It was really helpful because you can see the baby but no one can see you Now that my DD is 8 months old though, she thinks I'm being very silly when I try to cover her up so I don't really bother trying anymore I just keep a hand on my shirt so when she pops off I can cover back up quickly. It sounds like you are doing great and are off to a good start with your LO

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

LOL hooter-hider. I'm not mocking the product but the name gave me a welcome chuckle after hours of nsg my colicky boy . Reminds of the pee pee teepee I saw in a store.
    2005 2008

i have a hooter hider & its awesome! folds up small enough to shove in your diaper bag or purse...light weight so you & lo arent hot, a wire around the neck line so you can easily see lo, big enough to cover your entire front & sides, cute material/patterns to chose from, & adjustable neck. a pp suggested ebay but i googled mine & tons of websites sell them...i bought mine for $36...worth every penny imo!

abother pp suggested a sling. i recently purchased a maya ring sling and the reason i chose this one is bc you can bf hands free & descreetly (although lo & i are still practicing at hm first).

i bought my bf tanks from target. they are comfy & inexpensive. you can wear them alone or under non-bfing shirts.

i would also suggest posting on the baby wearing board & the nip board for more ideas...those mamas are pros & have great ideas.

hth! my lo nurses for long periods of time too...i feel ya mama!

Happily engaged to my best friend , Matthew
    1st time mama to Lucianna Dene' 3/29/08
    Exclusively and for 12 weeks and counting!!
    We discovered that we LOVE !

Birth: 8 lbs 11 oz 21 in
    2 mo: 10 lbs 11 oz 23 in

**first in my family to bf!**