Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple shield - DESPERATE

Default nipple shield - DESPERATE

My baby will be 8 weeks tomorrow, 07/30, and I am still stuck using a nipple shield. It did not bothered me much before, but after I have had a breast infection and my little one prefers to bf on only one breast, he does not get enough to eat. (He would feed on the breast that was infected, but the flow is very slow and he just gets fussy). The shield definitely reduces milk transfer and he is still very hungry after a feeding... or could it be that I don't have enough milk??? (but I can still pump some after he is done)???? Oh, I am just so frustrated over all this... I have been trying to wean off the shield, but my little one only cries and cries... oh, I can't stand his screams... I tried during the day and night and nothing seems to work... I put the shield back on, but of course there is no milk coming out, as his suction is not strong enough to get the milk out thru the shield.... and so he starts crying again...
    I really want to bf ... but with him not getting all the milk he wants, and probably needs, I just don't see it happening... help!!!

Default Re: nipple shield - DESPERATE

somebabies it realy takes them some time to wean off the sheild.
    Call your local leader, they can help beter then we can online.
    how are his wet diapars and poops? Thats the best way to tell if the baby is getting the milk that he needs
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

your baby is still very young and there is still hope that he will get the hang of nursing with out the sheild.

You are doing a wonderful job struggling through these problems in order to give your baby the priceless gift of breastfeeding. I am so sorry to hear of your frustrations and heartache (it IS horrible to hear our little ones screaming and upset).

The first thing I would highly recommend is contacting a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) for one-on-one support. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free.

Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

You can find a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultant's here.

I personally don't have much knowledge about shields, but I'm sure another mom will be right along soon to give you some help. In the mean time, here is a good resource on weaning from a shield:

Weaning from a nipple shield

They give great suggestions about "suck training" in order to improve you baby's suck so they get more milk and stimulate your breasts to in turn produce more milk. They state: "Be sure not to make this a battle with the baby, or he will resist more. Don't obsess with weaning off the shield to the point that you're robbed of the joy of breastfeeding. As long as your baby is gaining weight well, then you have some time to play with. Keep trying as often as you can, and give it some time. There are some reports of moms continuing to use the shield for their whole breastfeeding experience, but most moms have taken anywhere from 2 days to about 4-5 weeks to accomplish completely weaning from the shield. Be patient with yourself and your baby while you work through this transition."

LLL's site also has a very in depth article about nipple shields here:
    Nipple Shields . . . Friend or Foe?

You are doing an excellent job ... let us know how things progress for you. I'm sure other mom's will be along shortly to give you excellent advice! Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you for your support ... I really really needed some encouragement.

I had a LC come in... I have been trying to latch my baby the way she suggested, but with very little success... Oh, it tears my heart when he cries...
    He was 6 weeks then, when I had the LC come in, and he took in over 4 oz !!!
    But then, the very same week, our problems with the milk transfer started... so I really don't know how much he takes in now...

His poops are yellow... watery and kind of slimy, but yellow. Is slimy OK??? Only from time to time they have a little bit of green... he also gives me 5-7 wet dipers.
    How much should an 8 week baby weight?
    He was not gaining appropriately during his first weeks of life, but his 1 month check-up revealed that he was in 50% percentile (just a little tiny below, but the pediatrician said it was fine).

Thank you for all the useful links!!!

Thank you for your support ... I really really needed some encouragement.

I had a LC come in... I have been trying to latch my baby the way she suggested, but with very little success... Oh, it tears my heart when he cries...
    He was 6 weeks then, when I had the LC come in, and he took in over 4 oz !!!
    But then, the very same week, our problems with the milk transfer started... so I really don't know how much he takes in now...

His poops are yellow... watery and kind of slimy, but yellow. Is slimy OK??? Only from time to time they have a little bit of green... he also gives me 5-7 wet dipers.
    He was not gaining appropriately during his first weeks of life, but his 1 month check-up revealed that he was in 50% percentile (just a little tiny below, but the pediatrician said it was fine).

I can definately sympathize with your situation. My son is also 8 weeks and still on the shield. I'm still trying to wean with no success. My hope right now is that as he gets older, he will wean as I've been told by many that he will. I have noticed him getting frustrated with it and trying to pull it off.

I too was worried about him getting enough as he was very underweight at one point. Now he is gaining well because I pump several times a day to keep up my supply (the shield reduced it at first) and I give him the pumped milk (3 -6 oz a day) I also borrowed an infant scale from a friend and every now and then I weight him before and after a feeding just to see how much he's taking in. That has been a big help. Some days he doesn't need a bottle of pumped milk.

Sorry I don't have any weaning help but I understand your worries about adequate milk supply. Good Luck! (for both of us!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel's mom

Slimy is fine. The wet diaper output sounds great, and if he's gaining well now you guys are doing a super job!! And those weight charts aren't really good for much ... check out this source here. And here is an infant growth calculator for breastfed babies: Infant Growth Calculators, as well as: Average Weight Gain for Breastfed Babies.

Good luck to you two!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon