Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old won't eat solids

Default 9 month old won't eat solids

Hi, My 9 month old still will not eat solids, except for avacodo (and even then, only a few bites before she looses interest). She was eating a little bit before, but then got sick and has not gone back to any solids. I have tried everything, including tiny bites of fruits and vegetables instead of purees- she puts everything in her mouth except for food! She is still nursing great, but nursing up to 3 times/night - I am getting pretty exhausted and would love for her to take in more calories during the day for the promise of a good night sleep! Should I be doing anything differently?

Default Re: 9 month old won't eat solids

Hi, Hang in there. My lo was the same way at that age. Sometimes she ate good and other times she would have nothing to do with solids. Even on the days she ate good she would still wake to nurse 2-3 times a night. I was pretty tired. I do know my lo was going thru teething and growths spurts at that stage. That definally affects them in all kinds of ways. Things that kinda helped me was offering her food off my plate, giving her a spoon for yogurt, offering solids before nursing etc.. Just keep trying. My lo is 13 months and just now really loves her solids
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

I don't have any suggestions... as I am in the same boat. My son is 10 months and will not eat food. He will put bark, dirt, plastic in his mouth, but refuses food.
    Sometimes he will eat a tiny amount... mostly just takes the food and mashes it together or against himself. He also wont take a bottle! UG!

to you momma's! Definately BTDT! What worked for us is having foods around all the time and having him sit with us and eat. We were eating and he slowly caught on to the idea of that is what you are supposed to be doing. Even now at 17 months he eats better when there is more than one person eating with him!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lynx0333 View Post
    I don't have any suggestions... as I am in the same boat. My son is 10 months and will not eat food. He will put bark, dirt, plastic in his mouth, but refuses food.
    Sometimes he will eat a tiny amount... mostly just takes the food and mashes it together or against himself. He also wont take a bottle! UG!
    this post made me smile... sounds like my son. He will put anything in his mouth that is NOT food. The minute we give him food it goes on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by adykes View Post
    She is still nursing great, but nursing up to 3 times/night - I am getting pretty exhausted and would love for her to take in more calories during the day for the promise of a good night sleep! Should I be doing anything differently?
    "Stuff your baby full of food and she'll sleep longer" is a tempting promise for a tired momma, but the unfortunate truth is that even if your baby were eating 3 full meals of solids during the day, it still wouldn't guarantee of a full night's sleep. Many persistent night-wakers are nursing at night not necessarily because they are hungry, but because nursing is a soothing, familiar way to get back to sleep.

Have you read Elizabeth Pantley's The No-Cry Sleep Solution? It's full of gentle ways to get your baby to sleep longer and better at night without resorting to cry-it-out methods.

Believe me, I know just how exhausted and frustrated you must be! My DD woke every 1.5-3 hours a night until she was around 10.5 months old. I thought I was going to lose my mind. Finally I resorted to some sleep training, and DD, who was still exclusively breastfeeding, finally started sleeping through the night with only one wake-up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"