Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Domperidone

Question Domperidone

How do I go about getting it? I live in usa and was told that its illegal here. Can i order outside the country and not get in trouble? I dont know how this works
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Default Re: Domperidone

Domperidone is NOT illegal. However, you do need a prescription to get it legally in the US, and most doctors will not prescribe it - so you would need to find a sympathetic doctor. If you do find one, it can be ordered legally through a "compounding pharmacist". I did it this way for a while.

Some people do order online from places like New Zealand without a prescription. I am not sure of the legality of this, but it is possible that the pills would get confiscated at the border. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions...
    Last edited by melsod; May 26th, 2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added clarification

I should add the usual disclaimers about my not being a doctor and this is not medical advice...

How do i go about finding a dr that will give me a scrip? I know ours wont, when i was having milk issues she said ff was the answer! Do i start calling dr offices and ask if they will or how does it work?
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

That's a good question. In my case, I was lucky enough that my home-birth midwife knew an ob who was very pro-breastfeeding and was willing to write the prescription. I think your best bet might be to try local contacts from the LLL community for a more pro-breastfeeding doctor. Whether or not they are willing to write the prescription for domperidone, they'd at least be more helpful to you than suggesting formula-feeding!!!

But yeah, if you're up for it, you could just start calling down the yellow pages. That was how my mom found a doctor to attend her home birth when I was born at home back in the 70s. But at that point you're definitely taking the responsibility in your own hands, since you're just looking for someone to confirm your choice.