Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to Work

Default Returning to Work

Hello All! I am heading back to work this week - my lo is 7 weeks old. Luckily I am a teacher so I only have two weeks then am off for the summer. - But, the bad part is I am a teacher (elementary) and finding the time / place to pump is going to be difficult. I have been reading the posts and seeing that this is a problem for many - to those of you pumping in bathrooms and closets! I am nervous about making it work - but relieved that I only have 2 weeks.

This is my first time having to pump at work - any advice or helpful suggestions? I think I have found a small classroom that I can use once, MAYBE twice a day (planning and lunch time) - the teacher has graciously agreed to find another place to work at those times. I plan to pump in that room - there is a small bathroom next to it where I can rinse off the pump parts. Then I have a small lunch bag type cooler that I will place the milk in and then take to the refridgerator. Am I forgetting anything?

TIA and a big to all working & pumping mommas!
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

Default Re: Returning to Work

i am an elem school teacher as well...i am lucky bc my mat leave ran into summer break. kudos to you for going back for the last 2 weeks. i will be pumping in a private restroom near my classroom...not sure if there is an outlet so ill have to stock up on batteries. ive heard looking at a pic of lo helps stimulate. dont forget a watch (im sure there will prob be a clock in the classroom) so you can keep track of time (dont want to be late to your class). my prob is finding the time to pump! i will need to pump 3 times...and ive heard to pump as close to when lo would usually nurse. well as you know, as teachers we cant just pump whenever we want! not to mention, if our prep time is spent pumping, then we have to make up that planning time which then interfers with your time with lo. (can tyou tell im stressing?!).

know you are not alone mama! bless you for returnig to work and finding a way to continue bfing. bless you for not only caring for your own child but for a classroom full of children !

Happily engaged to my best friend , Matthew
    1st time mama to Lucianna Dene' 3/29/08
    Exclusively and for 12 weeks and counting!!
    We discovered that we LOVE !

Birth: 8 lbs 11 oz 21 in
    2 mo: 10 lbs 11 oz 23 in

**first in my family to bf!**

I am also a teacher, but I teach hs, so my experience is a bit different.
    I would say try and pump at about the same time as you lo would eat.
    Make sure to drink plenty of water. I find that it is hard to keep my water intake up during the day since I am always on the go at work and dont have a water bottle sitting in front oe me to remind me to drink.
    Bring paperwork to grade as you pump and get/make a handsfree pump thingy.
    I like to use a kitchen timer so that I am not watching the clock.
    Paper towels- just in case a spill happens.
    Ziplock bag to throw pump parts in between pumps to save time washing (just put them in the fridge with the milk)
    Since it is a classroom, I would make sure that the door is always locked before pumping and that I have a hooter hider on just in case a student/ fellow teacher comes by looking for a student/the other teacher... it has happened to me and I pump in a back office (luckly the door was locked and they just pounded on it until I stopped pumping and answered the door)
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

I'm an elementary teacher also. I pump 3 times a day (every 2 hours). 2 of the times I pump is duing my conference and lunch period. The other time I have an aide come to my room to watch my class for 15 mins so I can pump. My principal has worked it out with me cause I told her I needed to pump 3 times a day to keep my milk supply up and that it was really important to me. I haven't had any problems. I pump in a phone room. You might be able to ask your principal as well. HTH

Me (25)
    DH (26)
    DS Born December 5, 2007

Nursed 1 year and we are going on strong!

I am:
    , , , and

I am also a teacher and was informed by my union rep that it is the law that every public building (including schools) has a place that you can pump anytime you want to. Getting that room has made all of the difference for me!

Thank you all so much for the information and suggestions (never thought about a clock or timer! Whoops! - and a zip lock bag is a great idea!). I only worked part of the day today so no need to pump - but I did learn that we have so many interuptions the next few days that my normal "planning" time is gone. Luckily, fellow teachers have offered to help and cover my class when needed to help out. (much to my relief) - so tomorrow is my first full day back to work and beginning with pumping!! I hope that I remember to take everything I need and that it goes smoothly. (I am stressing too Mama Kara!! )

Thanks again ALL of you!! Knowing that there are others out there doing this - and doing it for much longer than I am, is so encouraging!!
    to all of you!!
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

great post! the maternity leave i'm taking, like mama kara, goes into summer too,...but i can't believe in less than 3 months it'll be another school year!!! i have just begun stressing!! i finally conquered our biggest hurdle...finding daycare...there are so many things to think abt when going back to work and the responses posted here have really helped me, (love the timer idea) so, thank u for posting this thread! hope your enjoying these final weeks with your students!
    from a fellow elemantary school teacher.