Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I tell them?

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default What should I tell them?

I am going back to work next week and I will be pumping once a day. My lo will be 11 months old and althought I am very secure in my decision to continue breastfeeding and pumping I am worried what my co-workers will say. I don't know of anyone in my office that has bf for more than a few months and nobody has ever pumped at work. I need some help thinking of a short to the point answer of why I am still breastfeeding and pumping. I don't want to offend the mom's that didn't bf or make a big deal about it. I thought of not telling anyone but I will be using the first aid room so they will start to wonder why I am locked in there 20 minutes a day. Thanks for the help.

Default Re: What should I tell them?

I have my answer ready:

"I am pumping to provide the best nutrition to my baby at my pediatrician's recommendation."

That way, if they think it's "weird" I'm chickening out by passing the buck to my pediatrician And it involves no finger pointing about why I feel it's better. If they ask why I think it's the best nutrition, all I can do is state that's the decision we made from our research.

But my company is very pro-breastfeeding. We have no state laws but they allow pumping sessions as much as needed (even to people who are in the call center) as long as it's approved by your boss and provide a room with a pump. And if your boss won't approve it, we can move up the ladder to our workforce team to resolve the conflict.

+ = Working Mommy to Sophie born 4/1/08 (our little April Fool )

that's a good one..
    or we are avioding cows milk thats why I pump.....

You could just change the subject.

If it becomes a huge deal, you could always just say you are making private phone calls or something of that nature.

Or tell them you are busy plotting how to take over the world and need privacy to do so

+ = Working Mommy to Sophie born 4/1/08 (our little April Fool )

I like those statements that pp said, but they just don't seem to feel right to me... I am a teacher and so pumping these 11 months has been hard, but we made it. I have a full time teacher assistant who has watched the class to pump. She's been great, but I know she's thinking I'll be done after June and not be pumping next year... that was my original goal, one year. But after making it this far and after having learned about the benefits after a year, I want to keep going. I already have people asking me all school year when I'm going to stop, so I can imagine what I'll hear next year.

My cousin is still bf her 15 month old, but only 2 times a day, she slowly weaned the daytime feedings so she could dump the pump! So, I think about doing that too... and just transitioning to cow's milk.... I don't know. I keep thinking though, would I be doing cow's milk b/c it's what I think is best for my LO or just b/c of what people think of me bf past one? I need to be strong and bf ny daughter, as long as I want. I dealt with criticism all these 11 months, so, I can handle it,.
    Proud Mommy to:
    Savannah Hope
    6-22-07
    8 lbs 12 oz at birth, now 32 lbs!! and Baby #2 on the way!

long as toddler is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need extra milk, cows milk or other milk..
    3-4 times isn't too many.
    IF you nurse when you get up
    and then when you get home
    before supper
    and then before bed.
    Thats plenty.
    you might be able to retire the pump

That's what I did (what Andrea said). Nora continues to nurse several times/day and night, but I stopped pumping when she was about one. It had nothing to do with outside pressure or feeling weird about still bfing, it was simply a matter of relieving myself of the hassle, getting my lunch break back, and (most importantly) not having to wash bottles! It turned out she wasn't really drinking the bottles I was sending anyway.

BUT having said all that, if you want to continue pumping you should absolutely be able to without being hassled. My suggestion would be to not mention what you are doing (except to your boss, of course) unless they ask. Then I'd just tell them I'm pumping milk. If they are rude enough to ask why I'd either tell them it wasn't their business or tell them the benefits of breastmilk past one if I thought they might be receptive to it.

good luck I hope no one hassles you!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

In my immediate office, 5 out of 5 employees are women. The rest of the work force is 98% men. I've been pumping at work for a year now and I have always said one of two things:

1. A mothers work is never done (as I leave the office with my pump in hand)
    2. Going to take care of my motherly duties

No one has ever questioned me. I've even had one of the men say -- been there done that!

My DS is 21 months old and I still pump at work once a day to leave about 8-10 ounces for him throughout the day. I work long hours - leave home at 6am and get back at around 5pm, he still drinks his milk - so I keep providing it.

As far as work colleagues go, well, that's been tough and continues to be tough. Very few people understand our position especially when baby passes a year - I am approaching the two year mark and you can imagine the comments I am getting! If I get sick - I get told it's because I am giving too much of myself to my baby blah blah blah. But I carry on regardless because I know it's the best thing for my son. I just laugh it off and know in my heart it's the right decision. I haven't had much support, but no one has got really verbal about it yet either. HTH. Most people are just shocked and amazed that I am still breastfeeding, most people in South Africa among my race group stop breast feeding at around 6 weeks or 3 months, so I feel ya I too am an exception to the rule. But I have managed and so will you. Good luck and hang in there, it is so worth it, my son has hardly been sick and I have hardly needed anytime off work to care for him.

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg

I always just boldly say, "I gotta go pump." I teach 4th grade and if my regular daily schedule is messed up (like it was A LOT toward the end of the year) I just call the office and tell them I need someone in my class. We even had a day long field trip where I pumped in my APs car!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.