Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4m old eating/sleeping trouble

Default 4m old eating/sleeping trouble

Hi everyone, I have just discovered this forum and all the advice looks great so I was hoping someone could help/lend moral support. Sorry if it is long!

My baby is now 18w old and is exclusively BF. She occaisonally has a bottle of EBM. She has been super alert sine about 8w old and has always seemed a bit of a problem to feed compared to my friends babies. She is easily distracted and and at the start of a feed goes on and off lots before she would settle down- I thought when she was smaller this was because I seemed to have very fast letdown. She has never been a baby that would just sit and feed\suckle for the sake of it like some do.

She had a growth spurt at around 13/14w and fed more than normal etc. Just after this finished she refused to feed first thing in the morning and would have nothing from about 4\5am until midday or even 4pm. The first couple of days this happened she was still going to bed at 9pm and waking around 4\5am for a feed then sleeping again til 7.

After a couple of days however she started feeding several times in the night- maybe 3 times on a good night but often every hour. She now will not feed during the day really despite everything I have tried (feeding in dark, feeding expressed milk from bottle, feeding from a cup etc etc) the only way I can get her to have a few mouth fulls during the day now is right after a nap when she first wakes. She will only have maybe 2 x30min naps a day.

The problem now is she is basically doing all her feeding during the night and just wants to be nosey during the day.

I am now worried too that after being a good sleeper and having fairly good sleep habits that is all being lost.

I think the best option in the short term would be to get DH to sleep in the spare room for a few nights and co-sleep with her for a couple of nights to try and get her to sleep for longer spells at a time and therefore feed less. Also I think the co-sleeping habit will be a less stressful habit to break than if she gets stuck in a rut of nursing every hour through the night.

Sorry this is such a long post but I just need to get some opinions and for someone to tell me they have the same thing and it passed....

Thankyou to anyone who managed to read this far!

Default Re: 4m old eating/sleeping trouble

As you have noticed, sleeping and eating patterns do change. If it seems like it would work for your family, you might try the co-sleeping and see how it goes. At least you would be getting more rest. It sounds like she is reverse cycling. Here's some info on that that may help. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html If you have a sling, some moms have good luck feeding distractable babies while walking. Hang in there!
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    As you have noticed, sleeping and eating patterns do change. If it seems like it would work for your family, you might try the co-sleeping and see how it goes. At least you would be getting more rest. It sounds like she is reverse cycling. Here's some info on that that may help. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html If you have a sling, some moms have good luck feeding distractable babies while walking. Hang in there!

I was just going to post that same reverse-cycling link!

I definitely think kicking your husband to the guest bed for a few nights, or investing in a co-sleeper so that you can take your baby into bed and then pop her back in her sleeper without having to get in and out of bed, could make a big difference in your life.

Hang in there, Mama! My daughter was up every 1.5-3 hours until she was 10 months old and I every time I think about that period of sleep deprivation!

Thanks for the link- that was really helpful.

I have accepted now it is just a stage and to ride it out. I kicked my partner to the spare room last night and co-slept which helped me feel less tired and at the weekend we might move the cot right next to the side of the bed.

I have just been persevering with the frequent offering of feeds during the day in a dark quiet room and catching her after naps and things.

Thank you for the replies

So when you talk about baby not really wanting to settle in to breastfeeding I was wondering...
    Do you hear any coughing, gasping or choking during a letdown? What typically happens when you attempt to bf during the day?

Carpentergirl- She often does cough/splutter around let down. I have always had a really good milk supply and seem to have a strong let down. If she comes off it sprays with force quite a distance. She sometimes does the on\off thing before letdown too though.

When she is going on\off at the start of a feed sometimes she looks around and others she just turns her head down towards my legs so her ear is up and then comes back for another shot at it.

She would sometimes do this a few times then settle, others she would do it a few times then just start looking around and give up.

She doesn't seem to be on and off as much during the night.

Many thanks!

Have just read up a bit more and now I am worried that she might have silent reflux. I am going to try and get a doctor appointment tomorrow morning- does anyone have any experience of this?