Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorgement/Supply & Sleeping Through The Night

Default Engorgement/Supply & Sleeping Through The Night

I hope this isn't a silly question! My 5 week old has started sleeping for longer stretches at night (about 5 hours now). When she wakes up, I am really engorged. I was wondering if your body starts to adjust as the baby's sleep times increase? I am also wondering if those long sleep stretches will affect my milk supply.

Thanks!

Default Re: Engorgement/Supply & Sleeping Through The Night

this is exactly what i have been going through with my LO starting 2 weeks ago. even when he does wake up to nurse, he barely feeds at all and i am engorged in the morning until almost 2 or 3 in the afternoon. so far, it hasn't affected my supply much but i also have an over-abundance so i'm not sure how it would affect someone with normal supply.

sorry that's not much help, but i do understand what you're going through. hang in there!

[ j ]

Yes, your body will eventually adjust to your LO feeding schedule but keep in mind that schedule will change FREQUENTLY. As long as you are feeding on demand your baby will ensure your supply meets her demand. If she sleeps long stretches at night she will make up for it during the day with longer and/or more frequent feeds during the day.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I'd been wondering the same thing so I guess its a pretty common question. I had been pumping at night to relieve the engorgement but the more I read about the supply/demand cycle I decided I'd better stop or I'd always be engorged. Trouble is, even though I've stopped I still end up engorged at night - uncomfortably so and I'm worried that I'll end up with a clogged duct. I found one the other night and was so panicked I got up and pumped again. Whats the best way to deal with this? Is it okay to pump for a few minutes just to ease things and prevent the plugged ducts? I had one early on and it was so painful, I don't want to have to go through that again. Thanks!

~June