Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing Whole Milk

Default Introducing Whole Milk

This may not be the place for this, but this group has been so helpful to me as I struggled, embraced, and enjoyed breastfeeding my 1st baby over the past year, and I'm hoping you all can help me with this new problem. This may be a real no-no, and I'm REALLY not trying to stir up any controversy, so I apologize in advance if this is a taboo question, but I've searched the Internet and cannot find an answer to this dilemma (at least for babies).

I'm the mom of a 13 month old who I exclusively breast-fed until she was 1. At that point, I decided to introduce some whole milk while I breast-fed in the morning and evening. Soon after, she began to have lots of very soft stools (not diarrhea, but 4-6 pretty mushy, sometimes leaking poops every day). As a result, she developed a pretty bad diaper rash. Her pediatrician didn't seem very worried and attributed it to a stomach bug that's been running around. He prescribed some cream and the BRAT diet. I didn't worry about it too much either because both her mood and appetite have been good, and the mushy poop and rash are her only symptoms. While she was on the BRAT diet, things seemed to get better. We put her back on whole milk (mixed with 1-2 oz. expressed BM), and the problem started again. Well, this went on for over a week, so I quit with the organic whole milk and switched to soy 3 days ago. So far it's been better.

Could we still be fighting a bug? Hmmm..... it's been a while since this all began for that, hasn't it (3 weeks)? Is she allergic to cow's milk??? Is soy as good as organic whole milk? While I know my BM is best, I'm definitely not producing enough for her to drink exclusively (maybe 4 oz. a day). She happily drinks this up in the morning and the evening, so I would hate to pump it all out and loose that sweet time with her. To throw another kink into the mix, she's also teething, so could that have something to do with the problem?

It probably goes without saying that this is my 1st baby, so I really don't know what to think of all this. Any suggestions, tips, or reassurance are much appreciated, so thanks in advance!!!

Betsy
    Last edited by mom2maggie; May 24th, 2008 at 07:30 PM.
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Default Re: Introducing Whole Milk

First of all, congratulations for making it a year and still continuing to nourish your baby with BM! It is a great accomplishment.
    As for the whole milk, the diarrhea could definitely be a sign of allergy but it is not possible to tell without testing for it. So I suggest you take her to an allergist and get tested. As far as I've read on this forum and elsewhere it can be very dangerous so finding out this stuff and being cautious is really important.
    Soy milk, unfortunately, is not as good as whole milk because it has lower fat and protein content and there are problems associated with too much consumption of soy by children since it has substances in it that act like hormones.
    If your daughter is allergic to dairy, you can talk to a dietitian to find a good way to get enough protein, fat and calcium into her. If she is not allergic but instead has another problem like lactose-intolerance there are certainly solutions too.

It sounds like your LO has a milk sensitivity. If it was a full blown allergy, anaphalactic shock would occur.

My husband and I are strict vegetarians and introduced soy milk to both of our children (now 3 & 4) and have not had any problems. We are up in the air about the soy debate so we have switched to rice milk (we still eat other soy products though.) Rice milk is actually really good and although the fat content is much lower than cow's milk, your LO is probabally getting plenty of fat from other sources. We have NEVER EVER had a problem with our DD DS weight-- they're in the 75th percentile for height and weight.

We are firm believers that breast milk is for babies and cows milk is for cows.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jmthomas View Post
    It sounds like your LO has a milk sensitivity. If it was a full blown allergy, anaphalactic shock would occur.

My husband and I are strict vegetarians and introduced soy milk to both of our children (now 3 & 4) and have not had any problems. We are up in the air about the soy debate so we have switched to rice milk (we still eat other soy products though.) Rice milk is actually really good and although the fat content is much lower than cow's milk, your LO is probabally getting plenty of fat from other sources. We have NEVER EVER had a problem with our DD DS weight-- they're in the 75th percentile for height and weight.

We are firm believers that breast milk is for babies and cows milk is for cows.

Hope this helps.
    I also am a strict vegetarian! I very much agree with you that breast milk is for babies and cows milk is for cows. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jmthomas View Post

Just wanted to add a little comment on the first part of your post - anaphalactic shock may occur, but may not occur right aawy. Any sign of allergy should be taken seriously as it could pose a problem later - but with many children who are truely allergic (as opposed to lactose intolerant) won't have to deal with ana shock because the signs of allergy are recognized early and elimination can occur. ( but we carry an epi pen, just in case )

Having said that... she may be allergic, she may be sensitive and/or lactose intolerant. .. either way I'd definitely bring it up to the pedi again and ask for a referal to a pediatric allergist and go from there.

Are you still nursing at all?

Here's some resources that might be a good place to start you.

(and be sure to visit us allergy mom in the LLL Allergy forum )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for all of your replies. I took her to her ped. yesterday. He thought she may be lactose intollerant or milk sensitive, but probably not allergic. He suggested I not give her cow milk for the next couple of months and instead give her soy. Given the soy-hormone debate, I'm going to hunt for rice milk on my next trip to an organic grocery store. We live in a pretty rural area and anything you can't find at a mom and pop store is few and far between around here. I am still breast feeding her once or twice a day during the week (I work full time away from home) and a few times on the weekends. I've been pumping in the mornings and adding what I pump to the soy milk, but that's usually less than a couple of ounces for the two bottles that I send to daycare. The number and consistency (and by extension, the rash) of her poops has gotten MUCH better since we quit giving her whole milk. So... we'll see stay away from that and what happens. I really appreciate your replies and support. Any other thoughts are much appreciated!
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

as long as baby is nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need extra cows milk.
    Maybe you can squeeze in another feed?

Perhaps goat/sheeps milk woud be more tolerable, or at least goat cheese or yogurt if you are committed to giving her milk of a sort other than bm. It is more similar to human milk than cow's I read with the enzymes
    I was given goat's milk powdered formula by a friend whose lo has severe allergies and I tried it but ds hated it as did hers...
    He loves goat cheese though.

Also, diarreah/soft stools can occurr with teething too from the excess saliva they produce and swallow though it sounds like you found the source of that problem.
    Mimi's mum DS #1(19/2/07) DS #2 (21/11/08)