Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SNS Help, Please!

Default SNS Help, Please!

Since my daughter was born, I have had to use the SNS to supplement her feeds. My supply has peaked and I am now able to produce 2 ozs of breastmilk every 3 hours around the clock. Before I could nurse her on both sides and then use the SNS to top her off. Now she is refusing to nurse unless the SNS is there and ready to provide her with instant satisfaction. She just will not stay latched on long enough for me to get a letdown. Or I'll get my first letdown which lasts about 60 seconds only and then she starts fussing and refusing to nurse. I've tried switch-nursing her and that works a tiny bit but again, as soon as the flow slows down she just refuses to nurse and screams and is very frustrated.

Should I just use the SNS throughout the entire session and forget about offering it to her at the end?

What should I do? Please help!

Default Re: SNS Help, Please!

Could you try hand expressing or pumping a little to get the milk flow started before latching on?

How about breast compressions?
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Could you try slowly decreasing the flow rate on the SNS? I don't necessarily mean during the feeding, but more like as the days go on. This way, baby is having to work harder to get milk from the SNS (and hopefully bringing down more milk from the breast).

Do you have local breastfeeding support, Kate?

We're glad to have you here!