Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: building milk supply

Default building milk supply

Hello! I presently bf and pump when little one doesn't do a full feeding. I use that bottle for Dad to feed and get in on bonding time, but I am thinking about when I go back to work fulltime and my baby goes to day care. How does one start building a supply enough for time at day care? I want to pump more but wonder if that will lessen the supply my baby gets during her regular feedings? I will be going back on the 26th of August and concerned about how to plan this? Maybe I should get with a lactation consultant?

Default Re: building milk supply

Have you tried pumping right after the first feed in the morning? You may be able to get a good amount.

You really only need enough to get you through the first couple of days. Once you're back to work, you'll be pumping for the next day's bottles. You can use the next couple of weeks to practice and build up a rainy day fund.

Here's a link to help you figure out how much to put in each bottle:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Last edited by jentut; July 29th, 2006 at 06:59 AM.

Thanks for the link, it helps to have some numbers to estimate.

I want to pump more but wonder if that will lessen the supply my baby gets during her regular feedings?
    Your supply should increase to meet the additional demand (pumping).

Also, here is another link with a whole list of links (you're getting bombarded with links!) for working moms that pump:

Links: Working & Pumping Tips

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by bronxgirl
    Hello! I presently bf and pump when little one doesn't do a full feeding. I use that bottle for Dad to feed and get in on bonding time, but I am thinking about when I go back to work fulltime and my baby goes to day care. How does one start building a supply enough for time at day care? I want to pump more but wonder if that will lessen the supply my baby gets during her regular feedings? I will be going back on the 26th of August and concerned about how to plan this? Maybe I should get with a lactation consultant?
    Just be sure to have a good double electric pump. I managed to pump enough for my twin boys while working full time in the Army. My babies adjusted to me not being there by reversing their schedule. They slept more and ate less during the day while I was gone. Then during the night they would nurse more often to make up for the time I was gone. This was great for my supply! It was really a great way for me to feel close to them and spend time with them while I was home. I had great luck with the Medela Pump In Style Advance. Practice now before you go back to work. Pump and nurse often. Always remember that your baby gets more in a feeding than you pump. Babies are much more effective than a pump. So if you only pump 1 or 2 ounces at first don't worry that your baby is only getting that much when they nurse. It takes a little bit to get used to pumping. Your body will adjust. Congratulations on giving your baby the best gift in the world....your milk!

I built my supply up by pumping for 15 minutes every morning. Your body produces the most breast milk during that time - I think its from 3am to 10am and since you're always producing BM, you really needn't worry about taking any away from your child. I would typically do it right after she ate around that 4 to 6 am feeding and would get a good 4ozs. By the time I went back to work I had a good stash saved up. Its true you may not need all that much to start with, but most working mom's I talked to said the one thing they wished they'd done on maternity leave was build up a bigger freezer stash as it would have saved them a lot of anxiety worrying if they would pump enough for the next day's needs. I'm glad I did. Also, when you let Dad give baby a bottle, pull out your pump and pump while he's doing that - you would have been feeding her at that time anyway and you want to be sure to keep that breastmilk supply established by giving your body the right cues. Never go more than 3 hours without pumping or feeding is the golden rule I was told to follow in the early months. Good luck!

~June