Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby doesn't gain weight or get taller

Default baby doesn't gain weight or get taller

I'm kind of worried about my baby boy. He's 11.5 months old and he's a small baby. That doesn't worry me much but what worries me is that he hasn't gained weight or got taller for about 2 months already. Is it normal that baby stops gaining weight and stops getting taller for 2 months? He is a happy and active baby, hardly sit still though. He loves crawling and walking around all day.

Now I work full time and he doesn't seem to eat much of solid food. He loves Cheerios. He eats other food like carrot, sweet potato, banana, yogurt, strawberry, but in a small amount. He doesn't like juice, but loves water. I breastfeed him before going to work and when I come back from work. I also feed him during the night. But during the day, he won't take bottle.

I want him to eat more solids and take bottle so he will gain weight again. What should I do? Thanks.

Default Re: baby doesn't gain weight or get taller

can you tell us more about his nursing patterns?
    what about wet diaparS?
    and poops?
    has he been sick alot?

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

On weekday, because he sleeps in the same bed with me, I get up often during the night feeding him, about 4 times, not sure how long because we would fall asleep together. In the mornig, I nurse him before going to work, not long. When I come back from work, I nurse him 2 sides until my breasts empty. Then I will nurse him almost every 1.5 hours after that because he seems to need all attention but they're not a long nurse. I normally switch from side to side or sometimes both sides if he seems hungry. Weekday during the day, he won't take breastmilk in bottle so his dad just feeds him solid food which he doesn't seem to eat much. He eats more with me feed him.

Weekend, I nurse often, as much as he wants. He now knows how to pull down my shirt so I have a clue when he wants to nurse.

He's a very healthy baby, only had a cold twice (not serious and not long). He hardly spits up. He poops everyday. Some day a little bit at a time. Some day big poop. But amount of poop per day will be equal to 1-2 oz. He has bit wet diaper about 1-2 times a day. But because we change his diaper so often because he poops so often. I don't really notice much of many wet diapers.

I just weighed him this morning, he's only 20 lbs, down from previous 2 week a bit (on his 11 months he weighed 20.4 lbs). He will be one year old in about 2 weeks.

Shoule I be worried? Should I take him to the doctor?

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much. My DD only gains about 1.5lbs every 3 months since she was 6 months old. They slow down A LOT after 6 months. My DD is almost 13 months and only weighs 23lbs, and she started at 9.15lbs. You are doing great. Maybe try introducing other solids, see if he finds something he likes. Try cottage cheese if you haven't already. It has a great mushy texture, and has good fat. Are you making sure all of his dairy (yogurt) is full fat? That's very important. If he only eats small amounts try feeding solids more frequently. My LO nurses 4-6 times a day and eats at least 4 meals a day. She is the perfect size and weight, but if I ate the way she does I'd be blimpier than I already am. Keep it up, you're doing great.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

Hi there, like PP said I wouldn't worry. It happened to us too. My ds is a tiny one and suddenly gained weight and grew 5cms in one month at 14 months!
    Before he was a year old and I was worried like you, my ped told me to put a tablespoon of olive oil on all his food just before feeding him (ie, not cooked). She also said to feed him egg yolk, which I mushed up with avocado. Not sure if you are comfortable feeding hard boiled egg yolk yet (I started at 10 mos and he was fine) but avocado with a bit of olive oil is very fattening and very healthy

Hang in there, you aren't doing anything wrong- some babes are just slow growers and then suddenly shoot up overnight!
    Mimi's mum DS #1(19/2/07) DS #2 (21/11/08)

what sort of solids is baby eating.?
    You want them to be big bang for the buck soilids.

Breastmilk has more callories then most baby foods.

sometimes when kids are sick even from a cold or teething their growth will slow down!

it doesn't sound like the baby has fallen off the chart!
    and 20 lbs at one year is pretty good.

try not to worry too much
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T031100.asp

You're looking for about 1oz a week in gain at this age, but that's going to stop soon or it might have slowed more than that already since he's so close to 1. Height is also very hard to measure and can differ depending on who measures etc so he may have grown and you're just not catching it. I wouldn't worry really, but you might have him start eating things like avocado, bananas are good, cheese or make sure he's getting whole fat yogurt.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

Thanks for all input I'll try avocado and cheese and hope he will gain some weight soon.

Sounds to me like he's getting all the nutrition he needs. He may not eat much durring the day cause he's filling up at night and when home with you! To me it's just like a baby filling up on BM all day and sleeping through the night.

With that said, 20lbs is good for 11 months! And the fact that he's happy and active tells you he's probably getting everything he needs!

I have a very little one too, 16.5lbs at 12 months! But very active, happy, and a really good eater too (lots of BM and solids). Don't worry about the charts, look at your baby (and baby's diapers) and trust your instincts. As long as he's peeing and pooping enough too I wouldn't worry! Good job mama! HTH
    Nikki

Wife to my best friend and mommy to our sweet little man born 4/07!

Still 'ing and loving life! We cloth!

Our daughter finally hit the 20lb mark at her 18-month appointment. She eats, but not a lot (she's a little grazer). She doesn't eat meat. She poops regularly, pees a reasonable amount, and is a happy baby. But small. And the doctor continually says "don't worry". If all of a sudden she packed on 10 lbs, or grew multiple inches, she might be more worried....