Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day one was a bust

Thumbs down Day one was a bust

Today was day one of me going back to work. Jack only drank maybe 1 1/2 ounces for over 6 hours! He was cranky the ENTIRE time. Ugh.

Now i feel guilty but with the economy the way it is i have to work to make ends meet! Hubby and i are brainstorning about maybe starting up a cleaning business or watching a few kids for money! Then i could be with my lil pumpkin pie!!!!!!

Oh and I pumped at work for 8 minutes and got 5 ounces!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO! Not that it does any good with the baby not drinking it!
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

Default Re: Day one was a bust

Who is offering childcare? Are they willing to try alternate feeding methods? A sippy cup, spoon, open cup? I know my son would not take a bottle in the nursing position. He had to be sitting up on DH's lap facing away from him.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

He was with hubby. I didn't even think of different positions, it makes sense! I'll tell him.
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

Any chance of hubby bringing your LO to you at work for a quick feed? I usually work from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and I will go to my sitter's and feed my LO twice during that time. You just might be able to come up with a creative solution. Keep up the good work.

Don't worry, mama... Your baby might be a little stubborn right now, b/c he's not used to being away from you or maybe if he's not used to getting a bottle from Daddy. Maybe Daddy can put on some kids' music or soothing music so the baby has something to distract him while he's drinking. (That's how we've gotten my toddler to stay focused on her dinner.) Your LO will adjust to the situation. Keep up the good work!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

awe I think thats very normal when mom goes back to work.
    Give him a while to adjust!

I did home day care for years and it worked for our family.
    Check out the rules in your state.

You can get back home if it's what you realy want.

It was a few weeks of this with my lo when I went back to work. I think it was mostly because he only knew how to sleep by falling asleep nursing. Now that he has learned another way to fall asleep he is doing so much better. You will get there!

I agree to give it a few weeks to allow everyone in the family to adjust before totally giving up on working outside the home. My DS1 would only take a bottle the same way as Lyn's facing away from his daddy, DS2 would only take a bottle if he was in the cradle hold with the bottle tucked under DH's arm.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

My baby was picky about her bottles and nipples--until we found the right one, she wouldn't drink much when I went back to work. She would also quit bottles early if the milk got too cool.

we feel your pain
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama