Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I dont know what to do

Angry I dont know what to do

I am so lost! I have been pumping like crazy, taking fenugreek and started taking blessed thistle. I only get a few drops, but nothing by the pump!
    What am i doing wrong?
    Alexis is back to, when she sees my breast she says no and screams. I dont ever think that she will nurse again. It breaks my heart. She hasent nursed in 5mos.
    We finnally found a milk she can drink, Rice milk. I wonder if I should just give up. Part of me wants to but the other part wants me to keep going.

How long does it take? I guess i have only been pumping with the Lactina for about 10 days.

I guess i just need some encouragement or something.

Any suggestions?
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Default Re: I dont know what to do

aww,

hang in there, i don't have any experience or advice but i can help out with the support and encoragement

don't give up yet.... mamas who've been there will chime in soon with some good advice
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

It took me 8 weeks to fully relactate after quitting for 3 weeks. It is a long road but at 10 days you have a great start! It's fine to get only drops in the beginning! I pumped for a long time getting only drops before they turned to sprays! :-) You're not doing anything wrong, you're well on your way! :-) Domperidone could really help? It helped me a LOT. Is that possible for you?(I've been following your posts but I can't remember if you're trying to do this drug free or not...).

HUGE hugs!!
    It's a long road but you are well on your way. I always found that just when I would start to get frustrated and down on myself I would have a huge breakthrough, like start pumping more or something like that. You will have your breakthrough too!
    Keep up the good work Moma!!
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by mom2gavin-keean-alexis View Post
    I am so lost! I have been pumping like crazy, taking fenugreek and started taking blessed thistle. I only get a few drops, but nothing by the pump! What am i doing wrong?
    How long have you been hand expressing/pumping?

Alexis is back to, when she sees my breast she says no and screams. I dont ever think that she will nurse again. It breaks my heart. She hasent nursed in 5mos.
    She might nurse again, it's a bit early to know. I hope someone who has BTDT will come along and tell you their story.

We finnally found a milk she can drink, Rice milk. I wonder if I should just give up. Part of me wants to but the other part wants me to keep going.
    Please talk to your pediatrician about giving rice milk in place of breastmilk or formula as rice milk is not a complete food for babies.

Only you know if or when you're ready to stop trying. Please know that you've always got support here, no matter what you decide. And, most importantly, know that we're cheering you on and we believe in you!

How long does it take? I guess i have only been pumping with the Lactina for about 10 days.
    How long has it been since you nursed/pumped regularly?

I guess i just need some encouragement or something.
    We're here for you! You can do this!

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post
    How long have you been hand expressing/pumping?
    hand pump 5*10*08-5*12*08
    I recieved Medela Lactina on 5*13*08 pumpin ever since every 2-4hrs during the day. i havent been pumping at night.

How long has it been since you nursed/pumped regularly?
    She stopped nursing in dec 07, when she turned 1
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

If she stopped nursing after she turned one, it is possible that she weaned especially given that it has been almost 6 months since that happened. Did she stop because your milk dried up for some reason (medication or something?) or did the fact that she stopped caused your milk to dry up? If she stopped for no reason but just because she doesn't want to nurse anymore, are you sure that bringing your supply back will bring an 18 month-old back to the breast? Sorry, I don't know your story so I'm just trying to understand what the situation is

Did she stop because your milk dried up for some reason (medication or something?) or did the fact that she stopped caused your milk to dry up?
    When she was 9 mo the dr said she didnt think i was making enough milk cause i was away from her for a whole day and all i pumped was 8 oz. She was loosing weight.(i think cause she was sick at the time) but
    She said we needed to supplement with formula, well it took us about a month for her to like formula. well she cannot handle cows milk. She gets diahrea and a bad rash in her diaper area(bright red almost bleeding 1 hr after drinking 1oz of cows milk, she has a dairy allegry.)
    I was nursing and supplementing with formula. As a result she was nursing less and less.

If i would have known then what i know now, it would be diffrent and she would still be nursing. I didnt know that there was herbs/meds you could take to boost supply.
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Hmm. That's a bad situation. Those doctors and their bright ideas about how much milk we produce I am so sorry that this stupid doctor ruined your BF goal. I know that there are toddlers of mommies here who stopped nursing during mom's pregnancy and then started again once the baby is born, which means it is possible for a toddler to restart. I hope they chime in and tell you their story and maybe give tips about luring the baby back As for the supply, I've heard that it may take a while until the pumping works so hang in there. to you for the difficulties you are going through, I hope everything works out in the end.
    As for the rice milk, my suggestion will be discussing it with your doctor (although the advice on BF was bad, hopefully the one on nutrition will be better) since it does not have enough fat and protein for toddlers. Maybe adding some oil into it could solve the fat problem needed for brain development and you can give solids with lots of protein to compensate in that area until your baby comes back to the breast.

I have heard that there is a medication you can order from out of the states, Canada I think. One LLL leader I had contacted used it to create a supply from nothing when she adopted a baby. I can try to contact her if you are interested in getting the name of the product and ordering it.

Wink Re: I dont know what to do

First off, hugs to you!

I can't answer the back to breast but I can talk a little bit about relactating. I did it for my DD when she was 6 months old and I NEVER breastfed. I'm sorry you got bad advice about BF when she was sick.

So what you really need to focus on is pumping. Pump pump pump. I'm glad you have the lactina. But instead of 2-4 hours, you need to pump every 2 hours. You will be dry pumping for a while, but then you will get just a drop (it may only stay on your nipple even). Also make sure you are hand expressing properly, there are some good websites that can show you how. That really helped me, I would hand express as much as I could (while in shower etc).

I went to a LC and she gave me a perscription for Domperidone (legally in the US a compounding pharmacy can make it $$$$) and she got me in touch with an overseas pharmacy to save money. It almost doubled my production.

At this point the choice to give up is up to you. HOWEVER given that your DD has an issue with milk if you continue to make milk you can always give it to her in a cup. Anyway she gets your milk is WONDERFUL if not directly from the breast. Even if you only make 8 oz, that is one less cup of rice milk per day!

Good luck! I wish you all the best!

P.S. - my story is here in the older posts if you care to look!