Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation War Room! (Think this can work for me?)

Default Relactation War Room! (Think this can work for me?)

A wonderful LLLL sent me a couple of sites about relactation and the following was one of them:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/relact.asp

Its a story one mom wrote about relactation and what she did in order for her to succesfully do it. I wanted to ask you guys what you thought and since my situation is a little different, what I can do to make it work for me. I am very willing to do this, sounds like a great idea. Just need some input.

(From here on you would have to read the story to understand my questions.)

That mothers baby was 1 month old and my DD is 3 months. She mentioned she was breastfeeding every hour..I cant get my DD to the breast. She gets horribly mad. Should I be persistant and try to make her take it? After how long should I stop per try? (Is that just mean to let her cry hysterically?) Should I get rid of my bottles as well, does feeding a three month old with a droper make sense? Do you fill a dropper and squeeze it in or do they suck it out?

I truely want to do this for my DD, any advise you could give will help. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Relactation War Room! (Think this can work for me?)

Quote Originally Posted by Drea1599
    She gets horribly mad. Should I be persistant and try to make her take it? After how long should I stop per try? (Is that just mean to let her cry hysterically?)
    It is going to take patience and persistence. I wouldn't let her cry at the breast since you don't want that association. You know your baby best; if she gets hysterical, then be sure to not push her over the top.

Here are some tips to help encourage your baby to nurse, not all of them will be helpful, but maybe one will be a winner...
    Nurse her when she is asleep or very sleepy.
    Offer to nurse in a different position.
    Nurse when in motion, either rocking or walking.
    Nurse her only in diaper and you undressed to the waist.
    Try nursing in the bathtub, where you both can relax.

I think that the best suggestion is the sleeping or sleepy one. Some babies will just begin sucking in their sleep without even waking.

Should I get rid of my bottles as well, does feeding a three month old with a droper make sense?
    Yes, and yes. Babies have a legitimate need to suck that must be met. If you can take away every opportunity for the baby to suck (except for at the breast) then the baby will eventually have to accept the breast. So, no bottles, no pacifiers, no fingers, no thumbs.

Do you fill a dropper and squeeze it in or do they suck it out?
    Don't let her suck on the dropper. It might be meeting her suck need. In addition to dropper feeding, you might also try spoon, cup or bowl feeding. With any of these alternative feeding methods, make sure to:
    Make sure she is awake.
    Swaddle her to keep her hands from 'helping'.
    Protect your clothing and hers from spills.
    Hold her upright and sitting.
    Load the dropper, spoon, or cup.
    Bring to her mouth and pour or drip milk slowly into her mouth.
    Give her time to swallow.
    Repeat.

Good Luck. You are doing a wonderful thing.