Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: UGHH!! having so many problems!

Angry UGHH!! having so many problems!

Well I am hvaing problems when I go to work for my 2 days (3 hrs) DH watched after the kids and Ryder doesn't want to take a bottle....though he has in the past.
    DH gets so upset when he cries and feels like it's his fault that he can't comfort him.
    Are there any good bottles out there you can recomend? I am also thinking abot trying a pacifer. Do you just keep trying to give it to the baby over and over till he takes it? I never had a child who took one!

Now Dh wants to try formula. I think he thinks it will "fix" everything. He spoke to a guy from work who's son had the same problem......Oh I forgot to mention that we are treating Ryder for Reflux.....and we also got a appt. with the GI dr on Monday--thank goodness for it!
    Anyhow DH thinks it will cure him! Ia m so upset!! I know it won't help......we have always breastfed all of our kids. The twins did get supplemented with the high octane formula. Plus we always gave one bottle at night to Sky but now I thatg I don't need too I don't want to.

Default Re: UGHH!! having so many problems!

Now Dh wants to try formula. I think he thinks it will "fix" everything. He spoke to a guy from work who's son had the same problem......Oh I forgot to mention that we are treating Ryder for Reflux.....and we also got a appt. with the GI dr on Monday--thank goodness for it!
    Anyhow DH thinks it will cure him! Ia m so upset!! I know it won't help......we have always breastfed all of our kids. The twins did get supplemented with the high octane formula. Plus we always gave one bottle at night to Sky but now I thatg I don't need too I don't want to.
    I'm sorry you are experiencing so much trouble! I can't help you with your bottle issues as I've never used one before, but my baby does have severe reflux (GERD), so I can help a little with my own experience. I know my husband also asked me about giving formula to "fix" our baby's problems ... most likely because this is the myth that people believe (that reflux can be helped with formula feeding or cereal thickened feeds). Both of these things have been proven to worsen (or certainly not improve) reflux. So my husband had all his friends telling him, "Just give her formula and put cereal in it to cure everything!" A really good source you may want to read to your hubby ... What can I do to minimize spitting up/reflux?, part of it is cited below:

Reflux is less common in breastfed babies. In addition, breastfed babies with reflux have been shown to have shorter and fewer reflux episodes and less severe reflux at night than formula-fed babies. Breastfeeding is also best for babies with reflux because breastmilk leaves the stomach much faster (so there’s less time for it to back up into the esophagus) and is probably less irritating when it does come back up. The more relaxed your infant is, the less the reflux.

LLL's site says (see full page here):

"Studies have shown that formula-fed babies are more likely to exhibit symptoms of GERD than are breastfed infants. Weaning from the breast should not be regarded as a good solution for GERD. Non-thriving babies should be evaluated for underlying illness. In most cases, GERD can be handled through proper breastfeeding management, positioning, mother’s diet, and education. When these steps do not bring about relief, more extensive testing and other treatment options may need to be explored."

And also (see full page here):

"It may be tempting to consider another method of feeding for a baby with reflux in hopes that the symptoms will improve. Remember, reflux is a medical condition, not a feeding problem. In most cases, time will improve baby's reflux.

Continuing to breastfeed provides many benefits to the baby and the mother by way of improved health, development, and most importantly, a strong bond that can help get you both through this difficult time."

Good luck!
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; July 29th, 2006 at 01:18 AM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Default Re: UGHH!! having so many problems!

Hi. I just wanted to add that my DS has reflux (is on Axid currently). I cannot pump enough at work for him. So while I am at work he takes some formula (the super-expensive hypoallergenic type which most reflux babies end up on). Anyways, when he has formula he spits up generally 4-5 times a day. When I am off (4 days a week) he spits up maybe once a week. Breastmilk is SO much better for him!

As for the attachment thing, the first 4 weeks or so I was at work DS had a REALLY hard time. One thing that helped was letting him stay latched on all night when I came home from work.

Smile Re: UGHH!! having so many problems!

I went back to work full time (teacher) when dd was almost five months old. She totally refused to drink from a bottle. At the advice of a friend at LLL we tried a Nuby sippy cup (Walmart carries them for about $2) I don't know why it worked. I think some babies need a bottle that is very close to the shape of the breast and others, like my dd, aren't fooled and would rather if it's not momma that the nipple be totally different. My fiance also had a tough time with the crying and there were days that he called me at work and I would come home. Keep trying you're doing the best for your little one.
    P.S. since she went right from breast to cup we didn't have to wean from a bottle, Yeah! At 13 months old now she can drink from a sippy cup, straw or regular cup with help but of course prefers "ninny" to anything else.