Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doesn't want to eat, at all!

Default Doesn't want to eat, at all!

My daughter is 6 mo and 3 weeks old and does not want to eat. I'm so shocked because my son loved eating right away. I've tried giving her cereal mixed with breast milk and she tried to suck it off the spoon. She did not open her mouth. She half pushes it out with her tongue. A few days later I tried pureed sweet potato and the same result.

She cannot sit well without flopping over to the side or folding in half( she is fascinated by her tootsies!). And it seems her sucking is still all she knows. She was nine days past due and I'm so shocked she seems not ready at all?!

I'm worried about the whole iron thing. Should I still try every night 'till she gets the hang of it, or should I quit all together and wait a few weeks more? Should I be worried that she seems developmentally behind? When will she be ready? How long do I wait until taking her to her doctor?

Thanks

Default Re: Doesn't want to eat, at all!

Sounds like she may not be ready to me.
    Read through this: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Some babies just aren't interested in food until they get a little older. Mine never really cared for food until he was 7.5 months old (and I have to say that I enjoyed not having to worry about feeding him solids ).

You could always try waiting a week or two (or more) and then try to introduce food again. You don't even have to use cereal if you don't want. My son didn't really take to it, so I tried a banana first, followed a few weeks later by avocado (yeah, we went really slow). Both are still favorites.

My son didn't show any interest in solids until he was 8mo... I started offering (BLS) around 6.5 to no avail, then again in a few weeks: still no interest in eating, but at least very much in playing with the food.
    Around 8 months he actually started to put things in his mouth, so I started to increase my offering (like, adding a meal every 2-3 weeks, then adding snacks).
    He is 13 mo now and still nurses well, but when he's hungry, oh my! keep your fingers away from the table mat or he might give it a try!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Get the book My Child Won't Eat. I'm reading it right now, and I WISH I would have read it when DD was much younger. I think every mother could benefit from reading this book. It is such an incredible eye-opener into what our LOs nutritional needs really are! It will make you feel so much better armed as a parent in making food decisions and in explaining your choices to others!

Thanks so much ladies, I've calmed down. I'm going to wait a few weeks and give my cherub another try. I do love to nurse exclusively too. Way easier than all that food prep stuff. I went to breastfeedingonline.com and read Dr. Jack Newman's article on starting solids. He is so amazing. He helped me deal with my oversupply problems with my son. He says solids should be introduced anywhere between 6-9 mo. That is when baby's iron stores start to run out.

So my little one is going to be O.K.,....hm now why can't she sit up yet?