Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help fast!!!!!!!!!!!

Exclamation Need help fast!!!!!!!!!!!

At around 2 months my son started fussing at the breast during feedings. He is now 4 months and the problem is a lot worse. I went to a lactation consultant and she said my supply is low but he is not losing weight so just keep doing what I'm doing. I am so frustrated the pumping isn't helping I do it after almost all feedings w/ the lactina pump. I also have been taking fenugreek and blessed thistle. Not working either. Every day I can tell its getting worse cuz he is eating less and less and I am pumping out less than a half an ounce after feedings. I have to feed him when he is almost asleep and sometimes when the flow is slowing down he wakes right up and starts fussing. He won't take a bottle or a sippy cup either so I can't supplement. I don't want to have to wait till he is losing weight to help from my doctor and lactation consultant. So if you could think of any thing that will help raise my milk supply. Also I've heard Reglan helps with a low supply. How do you get that and does it work?
    Krista

Default Re: Need help fast!!!!!!!!!!!

What are his diaper outputs like? Is he having 4-5 wet diapers a day? Babies (older than 6 weeks) should wet at least 4-5 disposable diapers (5-6 cloth diapers) every 24 hours and the diapers should be sopping wet. I know you said he hasn't lost weight, is he *gaining* weight well?

Also, the amount of milk that you can pump is not an accurate measure of your milk supply.

These resources will help you if you truly have a low milk supply:

LLL Sources:

How Can I Increase My Milk Supply?

How Can I Tell if My Baby Is Getting Enough Milk?

Other great sources:

Is your milk supply really low?

Is Baby Getting Enough Milk?

You are doing an excellent job ... let us know how things progress. I'm sure other mom's will be along shortly to give you excellent advice!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Hi there!
    Welcome to the boards. If his diaper output is good then I would not say that you have a supply issue? Right around 3 months or so your body levels out and your baby begins to take most of what your body makes. Meaning that you will always have some milk in your breasts but he will be taking most of it.
    Also as paint the moon said pumping especially as baby gets older is not an accurate gage of what your baby is getting. No matter how hard the pump companies try to simulate the babies suck they just can not. Take me for example, at 14 months I can not pump squat, not even hardly an ounce. My body knows how much to make and that is what Thomas takes, now I know that I am 12 months further along this road than you but you get the point.
    Has he been gaining well? Also, you can try breast compressions to keep the milk flowing, you cup your breast up at the top and gently slide down toward the nipple, that will give him an extra little bit while he is feeding.
    Also, remember that breast feeding works as supply and demand. If you really feel like your supply is low then I would hop in the bed this weekend, spend lot's of time skin to skin and nurse, nurse, nurse, a couple days of this and you should have loads of milk.
    You ask about reglan, yes it is used as a headache medicine but also as a milk supply booster.
    All the best and please keep us updated! Brittan

Exclamation Re: Need help fast!!!!!!!!!!!

He has about 3-4 soaking wet diapers. He is only gaining maybe 3 oz a week. And I would love to spend all weekend in bed nursing but, he won't nurse unless he's almost asleep and even then its only for a few minutes. I tried breast compression and it works for a minute. I'm really freaking out he is nursing less and less no matter what I try, he's always fussing anymore because he's hungry and he won't take a bottle. I need to find some one that can help, any suggestions. This problem isn't getting better. He want to nurse untill he starts sucking and realizes my flow is to slow then he freaks out and pops off and won't nurse till asleep. Its not allergy to dairy or reflux, not ear infection. Who should I goto to get help?

you should call your local LLL Leader there is a link on the website to find one near you or you should call an IBCLC, an international board certified lactation consultant in your area, maybe the hosp that you delivered in? The Leader would be free and the LC would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittan
    you should call your local LLL Leader there is a link on the website to find one near you or you should call an IBCLC, an international board certified lactation consultant in your area, maybe the hosp that you delivered in? The Leader would be free and the LC would cost.
    Best idea, Brittan! It would be a wonderful idea to have your local LLL leader evaluate your situation. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free.

Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

If there isn't one in your city you can call one in a nearby town. My leader and group I attend is actually in a nearby city because we don't have a group here.

Regarding the lactation consultant, if your doctor or pediatrician makes the referral, then many times insurance will cover the lactation consultant's fee.

You can find a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultant's here.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

have you asked your lactaion consultant about a device (im sorry I dont know the name of it) that you put formula in a bag hang the bag around your neck and a tube comes out of the bag and attaches to your nipple. If he starts loosing weight this might be a good thing to help you, you still get nipple stimulation and babe gets breast milk but also formula. It would increase his liking of nursing too because he is getting a really good supply.
    This was suggested to me when I had low milk production.
    Hope it helps... Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by zarajade
    have you asked your lactaion consultant about a device (im sorry I dont know the name of it) that you put formula in a bag hang the bag around your neck and a tube comes out of the bag and attaches to your nipple. If he starts loosing weight this might be a good thing to help you, you still get nipple stimulation and babe gets breast milk but also formula. It would increase his liking of nursing too because he is getting a really good supply.
    This was suggested to me when I had low milk production.
    Hope it helps... Good luck
    You are thinking of an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System). She can read more about them here:

Using a Lactation Aid
    and here are more links:

Alternative Feeding Methods ... Options for supplementing baby at the breast

I have the SNS system and he won't latch on because of the tubing. Thanks for trying.

How many times a day are you nursing? The key to increasing your supply is frequent removal of milk from the breast. You should be aiming for 10-12 times (8 at the bare minimum). If your little one is unwilling or unable to nurse this frequently, you can pump between feedings. And feed the expressed milk using a cup, eyedropper, or finger feeder. I hope you're in contact with someone locally.

Best wishes,
    Jennifer