Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still at the picket line ...

Default Still at the picket line ...

Well, that DD of mine is still striking. We're going on 50 days!! No, I'm not counting or anything.

So here's the thing. She turns 11 months at the end of the month. Since I have been exclusively pumping for 2 months, without a single nurse from my DD, the milk supply is starting to dwindle. (And the whole situation is starting to wear on me ). I have tried as many things as I can think of to increase it (pumping more often, drinking tea, taking herbs, etc.) I am still able to get about 15 oz/day ... but I have to be honest, this pumping and getting no emotional benefit from things is just hard. Plus, to keep DD entertained in while pumping for 20-30 minutes 3-4x/day is nearly impossible. If my husband is around, he's glad to play with her, but when he isn't she gets restless.

So - here's my big question. Can I start her on cow's milk? At least once a day? I know. I'd rather not. I totally thought she'd nurse for at least a year, but since that isn't the case I need to think of an alternative.

I also think that emotionally, for me, I need to move on. The continued pumping to keep up my supply was giving me hope that she might return to the breast. I think at this point it is a lost cause. So sad!!

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Similar experiences? Any and all would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Re: Still at the picket line ...

I'm pretty new at breastfeeding, only 1 month. But, in my opinion, it sounds like you did all that you could and gave your baby the best possible start at a healthy life! Everything I read so far on bf and in talking to my pediatrician say any amount of time you give your child is better than not trying at all and you almost made a year! I only plan to do a year myself if I can keep up with production after a slow start. If you feel you need to move on then do so, babies pick up any distress you may feel, I think, so concentrate on other positive things. Good Luck

talk to your doctor and see what he says..
    As long as your dd is eating other dairy foods theres realy no need for glasses of milk. HOw is her solid intake?

I would ask your doctor about what the recommended amount of "milk" (of whatever kind) is, and then whatever your not able to produce with breastmilk (or don't want to pump anymore) fill in with something else. I think up to 12 months, though, formula is still recommended over cow's milk. Giving cow's milk too early I think can be a factor for anemia, but maybe one month doesn't matter so much?

and remember to some doctors will just come up with some nutty answer...lol
    I know a mom whos doctor told her that the 1 year old should be having 45 oz of formula a day and then was all upset becuase the child would not eat..
    she was all full of formula..
    dr sears has some good books on nutrition
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t042200.asp

If you can hang on til 12 months I think that would be best? I have a friend who started cows milk about that time and her twins had bloody bms, the cows milk proteins can just be so hard to digest. And even if she is eating other dairy products it will not be in the same quantity as the cm.
    You are such a trooper at this stage in the game. My guess is that BC she has been taking EBM for so long now she is refusing the breast bc of some nipple confusion. Not your fault by any means but she is used to the bottle which is good in this case bc it will make your transfer into cm easier. When you do I would take 3/4 bm and 1/4 cm and the after a week or so 1/2 and 1/2 and so on. All the best!

Hi,
    My baby pretty much stoped nursing at 3 weeks b/c we supplemented. Since then I've been more or less exclusively pumping. He's now 3 1/2 months. So I know what a drag it is. I hope to pump for a year but definately will for at least 6 mths. If I were you, I'd pump whenever possible w/o being too hard, then give your baby that w/ some formula. You're so close, and even if he's getting formula, some bm each day is still great. Good luck!