Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • ?

0 0%
  • ?

2 100.00%

Thread: increasing milk supply.

Default increasing milk supply.

My little one is 5 weeks old and I've been breastfeeding since day one. In the beginning I was having trouble with him latching on, so I began using a pump and I fed him the milk from a bottle. He is now drinking 3 oz. In order for me to pump 3 oz I have to pump 3 times within a 3 hour time frame. I've heard the quantity of milk varies from the pump vs. from when he is directly on my breast. Recently, I've been feeding him direclty from the breast and i feel he is not getting enough. He seems frustated and begins to cry after 15 minutes on each breast. In order to satisfy him, I have had to give him formula. Each time I pump, I'm only able to pump 1/2 oz from each breast. Is this normal? Is 3 oz too much or too little? Any suggestions on how to increase my milk supply? I want to get away from feeding him formula.

Thanks

Default Re: increasing milk supply.

you definitely want to feed your son on demand. this will (hopefully) maintain/increase your milk supply. he's also probaby crying because he's not latched on correctly, thus not getting enough milk. try unlatching him and relatching until the latch is correct.

have you tried to pump once every 3 hours? you may be able yield the 3oz without having to pump 3 times in the 3 hour timeframe. i think 3oz is a good amount - not too little or not too much. if you notice he doesn't drink it all, you may want to store less...not necessarily pump less, but store in 2oz increments. if he cries after drinking 3oz, he may still be hungry. i guess it all depends upon your son's appetite.

fenugreek (you can get this from GNC) and mother's milk tea have worked in increasing milk supply. i used fenugreek for a couple of weeks when my daughter was 4 weeks old (she's now 10 weeks old) and i definitely noticed an increase in my milk supply. i hear mother's milk tea also works...so i am planning on trying that next week when i go back to work....to ensure that i am able to pump a sufficient amount of milk.

good luck!

I personally think that a 3 oz bottle at 5 weeks is alot, but I could also definately be wrong. Our pedi told us that when ds was 4 months old to make sure he is getting 3-4 oz bottles then. I would try like the previous poster suggested, but I would offer a 2 oz bottle and then if your lo was still hungry, offer the other 2 oz.
    As far as the pumping, I would not pump 3 times in a hour.
    To increase your supply, it is purely a supply and demand thing. I offer ds the breast every 2 hours when we are together if I feel my supply is low. If I have time I will pump for 5-10 min afterwards.
    What your are pumping out is not an indicator of your supply-I also cannot pump out that much.
    Have you tried burping your lo after 15 min on the breast? Maybe he is trying to tell you he is done. Do you feed on both sides?
    Sometimes when ds is not nursing well, I will feed him on one side, switch to the other when he keeps coming off and then put him back on the first side.
    I hope this helps! Keep it up, your doing great!

Smile Re: increasing milk supply.

Recently I began to feed on demand and I've pumped maybe 3 times a day. When I pumped, I noticed a larger amount. Thanks for the great suggestions and advice. I'm going to inquire more about the fenugreek and mothers milk tea. I need to increase my milk storage by the time I go back to work, in 2 m onths. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with the same concerns.

Thanks again.

I'm replying because I don't know how to make a new post, but I need advice!

Our baby boy, now almost a month old, came three weeks early. My milk came in on day 4. But the little guy was jaundiced and losing weight, so the pediatrician recommended supplementing with formula, which we've been doing from the breast with a tube and syringe. About 5 to 10 ounces per day.

Because he was a weak nurser, I've also been using a hospital-grade pump eight times per day since day 6 or 7. Just the last few days I've tapered off pumping.

The weight-gain issues are resolved now, but my supply still seems low. We have a scale where we weigh the baby before and after pumping. He usually nurses for 30 or 40 minutes and gains only 1 to 1.5 ounces.

I'm considering a two-week trial of Reglan to increase my supply. But I'm worried that the increase will only be temporary. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Also, I've heard that it can take some women 2 months get their supply in step with their infants. True? And what should I be doing?

Just this weekend, we began using a bottle instead of a tube and syringe. After breastfeeding, our son takes about an ounce to 1.5 ounces...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kannam
    I'm replying because I don't know how to make a new post, but I need advice!

Our baby boy, now almost a month old, came three weeks early. My milk came in on day 4. But the little guy was jaundiced and losing weight, so the pediatrician recommended supplementing with formula, which we've been doing from the breast with a tube and syringe. About 5 to 10 ounces per day.

Because he was a weak nurser, I've also been using a hospital-grade pump eight times per day since day 6 or 7. Just the last few days I've tapered off pumping.

The weight-gain issues are resolved now, but my supply still seems low. We have a scale where we weigh the baby before and after pumping. He usually nurses for 30 or 40 minutes and gains only 1 to 1.5 ounces.

I'm considering a two-week trial of Reglan to increase my supply. But I'm worried that the increase will only be temporary. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Also, I've heard that it can take some women 2 months get their supply in step with their infants. True? And what should I be doing?

Just this weekend, we began using a bottle instead of a tube and syringe. After breastfeeding, our son takes about an ounce to 1.5 ounces...

Thanks!
    I am a mother of almost 7 month old twins. I also had many questions about supply issues in the beginning and supplemented with formula. I eventually stopped the formula. Try pumping nursing one side and pumping on the other. Definately nurse and pump frequently. Remember supply and demand. If you nurse more frequently it is telling your body to step it up and produce more....it will take a few days for your body to adjust to that. I know that at the beginning it can seem very frustrating because just after you finish feeding your baby wants more. Just follow your baby's instincts and feed on demand. You could also talk to your baby's doctor and have your baby weighed to make sure there are no concerns with weight gain.