Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush Epidemic

Default Thrush Epidemic

I am seeing SO MANY threads about people battling thrush - while I am glad I am not alone, what is going on? It seems that most doctors are not completely certain how to treat it - and many of us are taking treatments with no (or little) results.

Big s to all the moms out their battling this!! I hope we all find a solution ASAP! And a big to those moms who won their battle with it!

(Okay so "epidemic" is a slight exaggeration but still - there are a lot of us!)
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

Default Re: Thrush Epidemic

Just wondering......those of you who have battles thrush, which dr did you go to for help - your OB or your pedi? I am thinking that there has to be a type of DR that would look at both mom and child to help diagnose and treat thrush. Any of those out there?
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

Initially I went to my ped who prescribed nystatin over the phone (she said nothing about treating myself). After looking it up myself I saw that I needed to treat myself as well so I called my midwife who told me just to apply the baby's nystatin to my nipples.

For recurring bouts I just dealt with it myself using gentian violet and stringent cleaning regimens. It cleared up much faster and with much less trouble.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thrush is more common during certain times of the year. Where there is moisture, there is fungi.

Olive Leaf Extract taken orally is known to stave off fungi systemicaly and it safe to take while nursing. I used to take it before I was preggers and I'm thinking I may start on it again. We have been fighting thrush but it never seems to go COMPLETELY away.
    Mom to Savannah (2yrs old--BF till 12mo)
    MOM to TREY (19 yrs) didn't breastfeed

Due AUG 2010 with 3rd child
    Plan to at work and at home.

we had a battle with thrush and won! the first time it just came back but the second time I gave my lo nystin (dont know how to spell it) 4 times a day i would use the dropper to give it to her and i would also get a baby q-tip and rub it on the affected area. I was also putting it on my nipples 3-4 times a day. we steriled all her paci's and bottles everyother day and had to clean all the toys that my lo put in her mouth. we did this for 2 weeks and finally we got rid of it for good. we have been thrush free for 8 months. i was also washing my nipples before every nursing session.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    For recurring bouts I just dealt with it myself using gentian violet and stringent cleaning regimens. It cleared up much faster and with much less trouble.
    Can you get the gentian violet over the counter or was it an Rx?

My pediatrician gave both myself and DD nystatin Rx, hers liquid oral mine ointment. Then when it hadn't completely cleared up my OB gave me an Rx for Diflucan, but I was there for my OB check up already not a specific appt for the thrush.

But now it is back after being what I thought was thrush free for 3 weeks. I went back to work last week so DD has been getting bottles 3 days a week. My DH was washing the bottles and nipples yesterday and didn't use the nipple brush, just kinda rinsed with soapy water...I said NO WONDER! YOU AREN'T CLEANING GOOD ENOUGH...I showed him the difference in the nipple after I cleaned one and he says OOPS, Thought it was GOOD ENOUGH...So here we go with Thrush again. I am sure that it probably just wasn't completely gone and the build up on the nipples maybe let it get worse, I don't know.
    Last edited by @llli*theresa.bug; July 16th, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
    Theresa with moby wrapmy little so I can work too
    13mos and counting

we just finished our 4th treatment for thrush. the first 3x we used nyastin for her and my breast. The 4x we used nyastin for her a anti fungal for her bottom (as it spread there). For myself I got Dr. Newmans all purpose nipple ointment, nyastin for me and butt cream for myself as it spread there for me as well...& i'm nervous that we have it again as i've got deep breast pain, so i'm watching her mouth like a hawk. Ifwe have it again gentian violet here we come!

On a second note one of the nurses i talked to said it's becoming resistant to nyastin....makes me wonder why the doctors are so determined for us to continue using it??
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

My dh picked it up at Wal Mart for about $3. Google "thrush gentian violet" and there are several pages that will come up with guidelines on how to use it. Beware! It stains.

Also, if you are pumping and using bottles, you need to sterilize your equipment (all pump parts and bottle parts) every day. And don't save the milk longer than a few days because that can reinfect baby. The longest I saved mine was over the weekend.

Good luck. You can beat this!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous