Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to do this...

Default how to do this...

well i went on a trip with DS to visit family for 2 weeks and long story short hubby and me fighting and we are geting a divorce. the problem is home is 1000 miles away. i made it once with the baby and well breast feeding in a car really is hard with him and i had to stop every hour, after a while all he did was cry. plus i need all of my car for packing. i can get someone to watch him but its gonna be like 4 days. hes 3 months old next week, i only have a manual pump and cant afford an electric one. dont think i will be able to get 4 days worth of milk out of me if i had a month to do it. so my question, if he had to go 4 days without and possibly drinking formula during that time, assuming he will drink it. will he complete reject the breast when i got home? i can try to pump every 2 hours or so while i'm gone though it may have to go longer if i have to drive though, how bad would my supply be screwed up? is there any other option?

Default Re: how to do this...

could you just leave some of that stuff? And have your hubby ship the rest?
    Most things can be replaced.
    that or send somebody else to get your stuff?

not a bad idea, shipping is out of question theres animals involded. only worry with sending someone else, my dad, that he wont get everything, and he hates my pets. i'll consider that though.

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your trouble.

Can you rent one of those small UHaul trailers that can be towed behind the car? I would try an avoid being separated from your LO for so long. Your supply and nursing relationship could be compromised. If you have to though, could you rent an electric pump from a hospital and ship it back when you are finished?

HTH

Hang in there.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

first of all, so sorry to hear about your marriage. you must be going through a very difficult time. just wanted to say that i use an evenflo electric pump that i got at walmart for about $30. i don't have to do a ton of pumping, but i have used it 1-3x per day for the past month or so. i wanted to get an expensive pump when i was prego but dh talked me into getting a cheaper one just to make sure BF was working for us before i upgraded & i'm still using it!!! it takes batteries also in case you needed to pump in the car. i've heard some mommies do that...? it's pretty loud, but that's the only complaint i have. HTH. good luck to you.

You have gotten some good advice. Also so sorry for the divorce. My personal opinion is take baby with you. Why not leave the pets and return for them later. I had a manual pump with my first. Didn't work and that's why I have electric now. If you are going to be away, I would think you need electric (renting is cheapest for short term use) and again at such a young age, I am not sure baby would take to nursing again. I also had thought of the uhaul trailer. They are less than $30 to rent or maybe one of those toppers. Good luck!

I am so sorry to hear of everything going on! Is there any way that you and your hubby can work it out? Having a baby is incredibly stressful and can put a lot of strain on even the strongest marriages. Sleep deprivation, uncertainy, in-laws, jealousy, differences of opinion, it is all hard to deal with. My husband and I fought a lot after both our babies were born, and both of us wanted to call it quits. We sat down to try and figure out child support and parental visits, and figured out that we were still very much in love just very burnt out and resentful. It has taken many months, but I think we are finally on the mend and doing pretty good.

Of course if there is any abuse or any sort of dangerous situation going on you should leave. But if not, try and sit down to discuss what is going on, get your resentments out on the table and see if you can work through them. You might just surprise yourself!