Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Extreme engorgement!!

Default Re: Extreme engorgement!!

Your breasts will be hot, red and you will feel like crap and have a fever. That's how you know its mastitis. You can do RPS in the shower. You can nurse with the hot compress. You can express in the bathtub with a hot washcloth or in the shower too, if you know how to hand express. This works a lot like RPS to soften that part of the nipple so that baby can more easily latch on. While you are hand expressing, massage from the back of the breast down (or up if you start beneath the breast) toward the nipple, helping the milk to move out. Are you only engorged on one side? Do you have any nipple damage on that side?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

It's much better today, but still not back to normal. I did the cabbage last night when Erin finally went to sleep (she nursed non stop until 4). It is just one side, but I don't think there's any nipple damage. I've been able to get Erin to nurse on that side, so that's a good sign. Thanks so much for all of your advice! It was a huge help!!!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Is your newborn having plenty of wet and poopy diapers?

Are you able to remove milk from the severely engorged breast at all?

If you can at all help it, avoid pumping as it can make engorgement worse (the vacuum actually draws MORE fluid into the breast tissue). You see, engorgement isn't just milk--it's blood and lymph in the tissue. Removing milk makes room for the other fluids to go back where they belong. If you must use a pump, use a LOW vacuum setting in order to reduce the risk of increasing engorgement.

Remember:
    *Warm compresses and massage just before feeding
    *RPS just before feedings
    *Cabbage or cold compresses between feedings
    *Nurse, nurse, nurse!
    *Finish the first breast first
    *Breast massage or compressions during nursing to aid in milk removal
    *If breast is still uncomfortably full after nursing to baby's contentment or between feedings, you can hand express or *gently* pump just enough for comfort
    *Hand expression is better than pumping for engorgement
    *Talk to your doctor about using an OTC pain reliever/anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen

Call your health care provider if:
    *Engorgement isn't relieved by management techniques
    *Your baby is unable to latch due to severe engorgement, or isn't having enough wet/poopy diapers
    *You notice symptoms of mastitis such as: reddened/painful breast, chills, flu-like symptoms, fever of 100 degrees F or higher.

Two good engorgement resources:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html

HTH!

I had better luck with cold packs when my milk was coming in. It reduces the swelling that can block the milk from coming out very well. Heat can contribute to the swelling.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Quote Originally Posted by ee_lime View Post
    I had better luck with cold packs when my milk was coming in. It reduces the swelling that can block the milk from coming out very well. Heat can contribute to the swelling.
    I've learned that the hard way.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ee_lime View Post
    Heat can contribute to the swelling.
    Right! That's why it's recommended to use cold compresses between feedings to reduce swelling and warm compresses/massage just before to increase milk flow. Cold just before feeding could inhibit let-down, and warm between feedings could increase swelling. So, to reiterate, it's cold between feedings and warm just before.

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post
    Right! That's why it's recommended to use cold compresses between feedings to reduce swelling and warm compresses/massage just before to increase milk flow. Cold just before feeding could inhibit let-down, and warm between feedings could increase swelling. So, to reiterate, it's cold between feedings and warm just before.
    yes! this is what i would do. i would use a bag of frozen peas to reduce the swelling and then a warm rice sock about 5-10 mins before feeding. no need to spend lots of money!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

You guys are awesome!!! The cabbage seems to be helping a lot. She is definitely having plenty of wet/poopy diapers! When she unable to latch on that side Ian is able to drain it some. It is much better today, it's still a little engorged, but not more then expected.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    &
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &

Connor's age ticker

I'm so glad you're doing better. Reading this thread takes me back to my engorgement days... *Shudder* (Both of my breasts were bad, though.)

Homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering Mama to Jason (11/6/07).

Baby #2 due in January 2009.

Both of mine were pretty bad last time, but nothing like the one was this time. Last time I did a lot of pumping, luckily I have a manual pump. This time I couldn't even close my bra it was so bad, I looked like a freak! It's much better now. It still gets more engorged then the other side, but I can usually get it drained. I will always keep cabbage around when I have a newborn now, JIC!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    &
    &
    &

Connor's age ticker