Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme engorgement!!

Default Re: Extreme engorgement!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcieLynne View Post
    And if my memory serves me correctly from 2 years ago, I remember that pain! I didn't get help and I didn't get answers and what I did end up getting was mastitis... That was awful...
    I also had mastitis with Avery. I hope you get some relief soon.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

I was really engorged this time for 1-2 days but I avoided pumping because that can inflame irritated tissues.
    I'm surprised Ian's nursing isn't draining it. My DD1's nursing relieved my engorgement so much.
    I also used reverse pressure softening. I would gather all my fingertips in a circle and press that into my areola right around the nipple for about a minute right before latching. That was a lifesaver.
    I also didn't wear anything but sleep bras for at least the first week to avoid putting unnecessary pressure on my ducts.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

The fact that its not draining even with a toddler nursing, and you're not getting milk when pumping makes me think something is blocking the milk, kwim?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Here was a link that was passed onto me that helped some.

http://www.llli.org//FAQ/engorgement.html

Congrats again Steff.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    The fact that its not draining even with a toddler nursing, and you're not getting milk when pumping makes me think something is blocking the milk, kwim?
    I totally know what you mean! The weird thing is, it's leaking & Ian is getting milk from it. I'm going to try the shower & massage thing after DF gets back from class! Hopefully that works!

Thanks so much everyone! I hope I get this figured out tonight!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Pumping can be really, really bad for engorgement because it damages breast tissue and can cause plugged ducts and lead to mastitis. You need to get the baby on that side to nurse , which totally sucks, I know. I had it horrible with both of mine and worse the second time around, but it really works to get that baby on there and get some milk out. Also be careful with the heat, only using it right before a nursing and right before reverse pressure softening (which really does work). Do NOT over use it. I always followed nursing with cold compresses and then cabbage leaves. Did you ever have supply problems with Ian? If so, be careful with the cabbage leaves, but it sounds like you really need them.

Also, I did not have a plugged duct, but I couldnt' get a drop by pumping when I was engorgeed. I think the best way to get milk in that situation is hand expression and baby sucking after RPS, because of the motion, not the suction, kwim? It works the milk out manually. Does that make sense?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thanks Erin! I'm still waiting for DF to get back from class so I can get a shower. I will do the RPS after & then get Ian to nurse. Can I do the RPS in the shower or should I wait until after? I did have some supply problems with Ian, but only after more then 10 months of nursing & it was easily fixed with Mother's Milk tea. How do you know when it turns into Mastitis?
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

can you nurse one of them while in the shower? i did this when i was engorged with james and it seemed to help. maybe i was more relaxed, plus the warmth. i actually did this with dd tonight just because. hope you feel better.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Quote Originally Posted by smidgin View Post
    How do you know when it turns into Mastitis?
    You will know! I had pain in my breast and redness and I also had flu like
    symptoms. I went to the ER and got some antibiotics. Here is the link.. http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr07p76.html

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

hey are you fealing any beter?????
    Any fever?