Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme engorgement!!

Default Extreme engorgement!!

My right breast is so engorged. It's at least 2 cup sizes bigger then the left & I can't get any relief. I've tried pumping, but almost nothing comes out. I've also tried pumping with a hot towel over, but with no change. It's too hard for E to nurse on that side, but I have had I nurse on there & it barely changes. Please help, I'm really hurting here! TIA!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Default Re: Extreme engorgement!!

Have you tried warm compresses, and massage before latching? The idea is to increase circulation so the fluids have a chance to reabsorb and get moving. What about reverse pressure latching? This will help latch on the side that is engorged. Make a peace sign with your fingers and press towards the chest wall for a few seconds. This forces the milk back away from the nipple for easier latching with a newborn. Immediately try latching.

Tell us if that helps.

When you look at your nipple do you see any white spots that could be blockages? When you feel your breast, are there any hard spots? Have you tried warm compresses and a hot shower with some good massage? You may need to help get the milk flowing if there is a blockage.

Is Ian still nursing? He might have a stronger suck to get the blockages out?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

My grandma swears by chilled cabbage leaves, but I don't know if that works or not. She says you partially freeze them, then crunch them up a bit, then put them on your breast or in your bra.

I hope you feel better soon!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Oh man, Steff! It sounds like you are in serious pain. And if my memory serves me correctly from 2 years ago, I remember that pain! I didn't get help and I didn't get answers and what I did end up getting was mastitis... That was awful...

Anyway, some tricks that helped. I stood in the shower with the affected breast right under a stream of very, very, very warm water. I massaged it (pretty hard) even though it hurt like h*ll. Sometimes, if I was lucky, I'd see a drop or two of milk come out. Then, as soon as I stepped out of the shower, I'd try to nurse dd. Following that, I pumped. The trick is, trying not to create more supply. But you have to get that breast drained. You likely have a plugged duct and it will progress to mastitis if it's not taken care of.

Dr. Sears has some great information on relieving plugged ducts.

I hope you find something useful! Good luck!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

I have tried the warm compress, I'll try the massage though.

Ian is still nursing for naps & bed, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be helping. I don't see any white spots, but I will try a shower when I get a chance.

The LC actually told me to try the cabbage, so there must be something behind it.

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know if anything works. I had a lot of engorgement with Ian, but this is ridiculous!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    &
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &

Connor's age ticker

Found some more info from Dr Newman re: cabbage

http://www.beyondbirth.ca/aspx/Artic...x?ArticleID=13
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcieLynne View Post
    Oh man, Steff! It sounds like you are in serious pain. And if my memory serves me correctly from 2 years ago, I remember that pain! I didn't get help and I didn't get answers and what I did end up getting was mastitis... That was awful...

Anyway, some tricks that helped. I stood in the shower with the affected breast right under a stream of very, very, very warm water. I massaged it (pretty hard) even though it hurt like h*ll. Sometimes, if I was lucky, I'd see a drop or two of milk come out. Then, as soon as I stepped out of the shower, I'd try to nurse dd. Following that, I pumped. The trick is, trying not to create more supply. But you have to get that breast drained. You likely have a plugged duct and it will progress to mastitis if it's not taken care of.

Dr. Sears has some great information on relieving plugged ducts.

I hope you find something useful! Good luck!
    Thanks! I have been afraid of adding to the supply. I'll have to make DF watch the kids when he gets up so I can get in the shower!!!
    Last edited by smidgin; May 21st, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    &
    &
    &

Connor's age ticker

Hot showers helped me and pumping enough to get some relief. Visual aids always helped get my milk flowing, photos from the birth, photos of baby latched on, etc.

Good luck!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Found some more info from Dr Newman re: cabbage

http://www.beyondbirth.ca/aspx/Artic...x?ArticleID=13
    I guess my grandma does know what she's talking about, then! Older generations are a great source of info, it's just hard to tell when their wisdom is...outdated.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous