Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "Stage Two" Solids for someone making the food at home

Default "Stage Two" Solids for someone making the food at home

I have pretty much been making all of my LO’s food. But, I notice that the commercial stuff starts combining foods. For example, if I want to make sweet potato and brown rice. Do I cook the rice first? Then do I put in the processor? What else can I use to mix the veggies with to make it more “stage two” appropriate? BTW, she still has no teeth. The other day I made her a clumpier rice cereal and she kept spitting it out. She wasn’t happy with it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Default Re: "Stage Two" Solids for someone making the food at home

So do you want to step up the consistency (move up from purees)? Or just start the food combos? Does she ever do any finger food, i.e. puffed rice, pieces of banana or avacado?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yes to both but I have no clue how to go from puree to not so pureed and I don't have ideas as to what I can do as far as combinations.

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

If you haven't checked out this site, it has a lot of great information for homemade baby foods.
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/sta...od-recipes.htm

pureed to fork mashed worked for us. it works well with soft things like baked sweet potatoes that she can gum the slightly chunkier bits. I've also mixed in some plain yogurt to make a little creamy (If you are doing yogurt) and she really liked that. My DD also doesn't like chunky grains! So we haven't gotten very far with brown rice or oatmeal.

I have actually used a pastery cutter to chop sweet potato, avacado, banana, potato, mango, etc. For combos I just either do what i would eat (ie last night LO had lentils and carrots as I was making a soup and set aside some before I season them).

I have also looked at the commercial baby food for some combos as well.

My Lo will do thicker grains so long as they are mixed with a fruit or veggie as well. We do oatmeal a little thicker mixed with peas or carrots or banana.

Usually if it sounds gross to be I think it'll be gross to him as well.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language