Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ds slowly weaning himself...

Default Ds slowly weaning himself...

A little background. Ds is now 14 months old. I work full time outside the home and pumped until he was about 11 ½ months old. He has always nursed when we were together and has never had a drop of formula or even a bottle of ebm when I’m around. By the time I pump weaned, he was nursing first thing in the morning, before bed and sometimes before his afternoon nap on weekends. Slowly he stopped nursing at all during the day when we were together. Then, on 4th of July, he simply decided that he would rather read a book than nurse when he got up in the morning and that was the end of first thing in the morning nursing. Now, at 14 months, he is close to giving up his last feed right before bed. Last night he was so not interested, but I persevered. I finally quit when he started getting the playful, “I am thinking of biting you” face. The weaning process has largely been baby led... or perhaps “don’t offer, don’t refuse”... whatever you want to call it. I have certainly never been opposed to extended nursing, but wasn’t wedded to the idea either.

All that being said... I just don’t know how I feel about his weaning. On one hand, I certainly don’t want to force something on him that he doesn’t really want to do, but on the other hand, I am going to miss that time together. On one hand, I am going to hate not having “boobie” in my bag of tricks, on the other hand, I am really excited about getting my body back. I just never expected to feel this ambivalent about it. Anyone else feel this way?

Default Re: Ds slowly weaning himself...

Hi minkerpinker,
    You're conflicted as you think about your ds fully weaning. You've worked really hard to maintain a breastfeeding relationship while working full time, too. You still cherish nursing but you are looking forward to the next stage, too. These feelings are very common and very natural. I'm sure others will chime in about how they felt during weaning.
    Sometimes they can hold on to those last favorite nursing times for a while, or their nursing can become very sporadic (a few times per week).
    "Gradually and with love" is what LLL recommends. Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Mary

So, will some milk hang around if ds nurses a little more sporadically. For example, if he is not terribly interested one night, will there still be some if he is interested a day or two later?

Yes -- you have nursed for so long that your body is probably quite efficient at making milk when it is "requested" by your nursling.

My son nursed until he was 4 years old -- and we went through periods where he nursed only a few times a week. Once at age 2.5 he went 6 days without asking to nurse, and I was sure he was weaned -- but then he started up again, and got milk.

It's also important to understand that milk is only one of many things our children receive by nursing. Some toddlers could care less whether they get any milk -- they need to suck and be close to momma, and any milk is an afterthought. I think by age 14 months, while your milk certainly benefits him in many ways, the milk may not even be the most valuable thing in your nursing relationship. So I would encourage you to relax and go with the flow and ebb of your toddler's remaining nursing days (or months, or even years, as the case may be!)

--Rebecca