Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF and gassy~HELP

Default BF and gassy~HELP

hi,
    my son is 1 month old and I have been BFing. He has always been gassy, but the last few days, he seems to be in so much pain!! He is still having a few dirty diapers a day, but is straining constantly and often passes a little gas after screaming. He won't let me put him down for more than a few minutes before crying, when he usually is fine laying by himself!! I"m giving him Mylicon drops but it doesn't seem to work.
    Any other suggestions?? I would appreicate it!!

Default Re: BF and gassy~HELP

have you changed your diet recently? the mylicon drops usually work for dd when her gas is mild, but i once made the mistake of eating broccoli and she was fussy and gassy for a week and unfortunately nothing i did helped! i would look at your diet first to make sure baby is not sensitive to something you have eaten if the gas seems worse than usual. i do know that if you put gassy babies on their tummies it is supposed to help somewhat. i laid dd on her tummy across my lap and swayed my legs back and forth and that seemed to soothe her for a while. good luck to you and your little one!

I had broccoli a couple of nights ago. I thought that DS had never seemed to be sensitive to my diet so I would try adding it back into my diet.....BIG mistake! He's been a bear the last day and a half! I second the PP, take a look at your diet and remove the gas producing culprits and see how that works. As for Mylicon, it only works for gas in their tummies. It can't touch intestinal gas, which I think is more painful for babies.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

My dd was gassy a lot and I have eliminated dairy which really seemed to help. I believe they recomend doing that first then if dairy isn't the culprit, try eliminating one gassy food at a time. I didn't find the drops to help either.
    Hopefully your ds feels better soon.

It's rotten to see your little one suffering from gas pains! I can understand what you're going through. Our little one had (and still has sometimes) copious gas!

I found this resource to be great help in eliminating any potential causes for her troubled tummy/intestines ...

Some causes of gas in babies

Those gas drops never did a thing to help our baby either. The best thing to do is to look for causes for the gas, and then work on eliminating the cause rather than only trying to treat the symptoms. We also had success with using baby massage ... rubbing her tummy especially and bicycling his legs.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I was going to suggest what the last PP said about bicyling his legs. The drops have never worked with any of my children
    This time we had to give uo dairy......

i also used mylicon...what a waste! now i use colic ease gripe water (in a brown bottle - www.colicease.com) for my gassy one who's 10 weeks old. she also suffers from gas pains and cries inconsolibly. the gripe water eases her discomforts so she passes gas without fussing and crying...it does't necessarily take the gas away. i typically give her the gripe water before i feed her. it works wonders for us!