Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DS's Positioning Preferences

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Question DS's Positioning Preferences

So, now that I know that I'm dealing with an oversupply issue, my DS is having much happier, calmer feeding sessions when I'm laying on my side. He prefers it so much, in fact, that if I put him in a cradle-hold, he starts freaking out before the feeding even begins.

I'm glad that I've finally found a position that makes him comfortable, but I'm bothered that he prefers it so much that he won't accept the other ways now. What am I supposed to do in public? Find a bench or a sidewalk to lay down on and feed him?

Or, do I just need to wait out the lowering my supply issue, and hopefully he'll go back to more convenient positions at that time?

Default Re: DS's Positioning Preferences

Quote Originally Posted by kristenco
    So, now that I know that I'm dealing with an oversupply issue, my DS is having much happier, calmer feeding sessions when I'm laying on my side. He prefers it so much, in fact, that if I put him in a cradle-hold, he starts freaking out before the feeding even begins.

I'm glad that I've finally found a position that makes him comfortable, but I'm bothered that he prefers it so much that he won't accept the other ways now. What am I supposed to do in public? Find a bench or a sidewalk to lay down on and feed him?

Or, do I just need to wait out the lowering my supply issue, and hopefully he'll go back to more convenient positions at that time?
    LOL!

Mine was the same way ... loved the side lying position. She eventually came around to liking nursing other ways as well. She hated the cradle hold for a long time and is just now at 7 months starting to enjoy it.

I'm so happy to hear you two are doing better ... please keep me posted!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

have you tried the boppy pillow, football hold?

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by debidun
    have you tried the boppy pillow, football hold?
    Yes, but he seems to big to do that now... unless I'm doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kristenco
    Yes, but he seems to big to do that now... unless I'm doing something wrong.
    Yeah ... the boppy pillow is a little cumbersome after the first month or two. Mine never did go for the football hold. When we were having a nursing strike at around 4 months I tried it again in football hold and she sure pitched a fit ... it was kind of funny attempting to get this super defiant, BIG little girl into that position when she was definitely not going for it.

Now that she's bigger at 7.5 months she's trying all kinds of advanced moves. The one foot over my shoulder position, upside side lying (this was by accident, she was crawling around when she was supposed to be sleeping, then laid back down the wrong way and latched on upside down), and her most favorite is standing up next to me while I lay down - she'll bend over me and just come at me, mouth wide open. LOL! I'm sure we're quite a sight!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon