Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Helping A Friend Breastfeed

Default Helping A Friend Breastfeed

Hi! SO: Everything is going great with my ds who is now 9 months--we're still going strong. My good friend is due to give birth any day now, with her second daughter. She stopped breastfeeding her now 3-year-old when she was about 2.5 weeks because she said it was extremely painful and I don't think she had too much support. She was also trying to pump which she said took too long--I told her to nix the pumping for the first few months if possible because it'll interfere with her milk production.

I was just wondering if you guys have any tips to make the whole process a little more comfortable for her--I'm going to tell her all I have to offer, but I was just sore and also have small breasts and had no engorgement or cracked nipples or anything like that. Are there remedies/tricks that anyone can offer? My friend has REALLY huge breasts (in fact, I'm having a hard time imagining them being any bigger than they are now!)

Thank you so much--I hope to offer a little wisdom and support to really help her do this.

Default Re: Helping A Friend Breastfeed

I had huge problems with sore, cracked, bleeding and extremely painful nipples. My husband actually had to help me get my daughter on in the first few weeks because every time I got her close I would back off in anticipation of the PAIN. Lansinoh did not help much, I got mastitis before my daughter was 1 week old, and I cried through many feeding sessions.

I saw a lactation consultant and I recommend your friend see one as well. I wish I had consulted her before my daughter was born, although the consultant and my midwife both said the latch was good so prior preparation might not have helped me totally avoid my problems. There are women, like me, who even with good latching still have persistent problems. My nipples are really sensitive and take a long time to heal. My problems did not go away in a few weeks, I had pain pretty much until she was 2.5 months, although not nearly as intense as those first few weeks. I used a nipple shield when my cracks wouldn't heal on their own, and eventully had to use some prescription nipple ointment, even with that they took 3-4 weeks. I stuck it out though, and I do not regret it for a second. My daughter is now 5 months and we love breastfeeding.The support, encouragement and trouble shooting assistance of the lactation consultant made all the difference. Your support will also help.

Quote Originally Posted by carlislerobreno
    Hi! SO: Everything is going great with my ds who is now 9 months--we're still going strong. My good friend is due to give birth any day now, with her second daughter. She stopped breastfeeding her now 3-year-old when she was about 2.5 weeks because she said it was extremely painful and I don't think she had too much support. She was also trying to pump which she said took too long--I told her to nix the pumping for the first few months if possible because it'll interfere with her milk production.

I was just wondering if you guys have any tips to make the whole process a little more comfortable for her--I'm going to tell her all I have to offer, but I was just sore and also have small breasts and had no engorgement or cracked nipples or anything like that. Are there remedies/tricks that anyone can offer? My friend has REALLY huge breasts (in fact, I'm having a hard time imagining them being any bigger than they are now!)

Thank you so much--I hope to offer a little wisdom and support to really help her do this.

Hi. I gave up with my 1st at 3 1/2 weeks, and am now successfully b/f #2. Each baby is different. Also, I have large breasts as well (44 F). The best thing to do with large breasts is to have lots of good support pillows. Also, I found it impossible to even attempt the football hold, I always have used the cradle or side-lying postition.

Perhaps you could suggest that she go to LLL or forge a relationship with an IBCLC before she goes into hospital to have the baby. When I had DD1, I mistakenly assumed that the hospital personnel were knowledgeable and would look after us. I wish I had called my LLL leader to come to visit before things went pear-shaped... A good, frank talk with a leader or IBCLC would help your friend prepare for birth and early breastfeeding so she's less likely to get sabotaged by the hospital personnel.