Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BLW panic

Default Re: BLW panic

Quote Originally Posted by leahmn12 View Post
    Thanks for your specific guidance. I wanted to know exactly what I should do and expect, as this isn't entirely clear on the BLW sites. So thank you. What did you (or anyone else) use as a reference when you started out with this?
    I actually just used the research page from BLS and the DO's and DONT'S. I took them seriously and did NOT give in to fear when the baby would gag or puke. And I didn't actually give him anything he would need to use a spoon for naturally (like yogurt or Applesauce) until he was old enough to dip on his own. (Like between 9&10 months?) and then we would use Toast crust and let him dip in the those things so he was still controlling it. I am a firm believer that spoon feeding just creates more work for you as a parent in the end. The baby has natural coping mechinisms to deal with and protect them from eating solids before they are ready.
    -If your baby doesn't pick food up and put in their own mouth=Not Ready.
    -If you baby gags or pukes EVERYTIME you try to feed them =Not Ready. Pureeing it and getting their suck reflex to engage doesn't mean they are ready for solids. It means you have worked around their natural defenses against eating before they are ready. With BLS, if you can trust in the process, you can continue with the "On Demand" and "Child Led" food experience. In the long run, I think it's such an important thing for them to understand that THEY are in charge of their intake of food.

I was a little worried that I would have a cave baby using his hands to eat until he was 3...but he started using utensil on his own around 14months.
    HTH! Happy Feeding!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks again. We're gonna give it another go. (we haven't tried anything since the avocado incident). Did you follow the one food per week rule?

Also, I see you're a SAHM. My partner and I JUST made the decision yesterday that I would become a SAHM starting in the Fall, after our friend who's been watching baby told us she can't do it anymore. It will mean a more modest existence for us, and we're tight on funds now, but it seems worth it to not have to put baby in daycare. I'm so excited about it, and feel so lucky that we even have the option. So I'm wondering, is there a support community or other resources out there for SAHMs on a very limited income? Other like-minded moms to share ideas with?

I Think most of us fall into that catagory...
    You can do it on one income!
    Ive been home 11 years almost 12.

For a while I did inhome day care for extra $$$

Quote Originally Posted by leahmn12 View Post
    Thanks again. We're gonna give it another go. (we haven't tried anything since the avocado incident). Did you follow the one food per week rule?

Also, I see you're a SAHM. My partner and I JUST made the decision yesterday that I would become a SAHM starting in the Fall, after our friend who's been watching baby told us she can't do it anymore. It will mean a more modest existence for us, and we're tight on funds now, but it seems worth it to not have to put baby in daycare. I'm so excited about it, and feel so lucky that we even have the option. So I'm wondering, is there a support community or other resources out there for SAHMs on a very limited income? Other like-minded moms to share ideas with?
    I did follow the one food a week rule until about month 8. Then I was doing new foods every couple of days AND starting combining foods to make meals. That is the point where I think diligence becomes very important. In the beginning we we would put one thing in from front of him once a day. By 9months old he was having two "meals" a day and by 10 months it was 3 meals day. When I started dealing in terms of meals, I was very diligent abotu making sure that he always had 3-5 choices every meal and not to feed him the same thing every day. Or the same three things he seemed to like last week. I think sometimes people fall into food ruts and then wonder why their kids reject solids in favor of breastmilk. But the flavor of breastmilk changes depending on what you eat.
    I need to change my profile. I actually went back to work after staying home with my son for 14months. But by the time he began part time day care, he was walking and on 3 meals a day plus two snacks. So the transition was not hard. He benefits socially from being around other children two days a week. I like that he learned earlier rather than later, that sometimes, you have to share and wait your turn. And that there are places in the world where he is NOT the center of the universe.
    At any rate, when I was home I found no end to resources, clubs and other things for SAHMs. And you really DO save money by not having to buy clothes, gas and lunch everyday. I pulled it off for as long as I could. Our ultimate goal is for me to be able to stay home forever after a 2nd baby.
    If someone would just pass me the water
    Good luck to you! And congratulations on being able to pull it off!

Way too lazy for formula

bumping
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    What would happen if he bit off a piece to big to deal with is he would gag and tongue reflex it out of his mouth. The word "chip" is English for "French Fry" and if you use that standard you really have nothing to worry about because things that are French Fry width are not large enough to block the airway. So either it will go down or come up and out. And honestly, when they 1st start, pretty much everything DOES come back out.
    They key to BLS is to let them control what is going into their mouth. Let them decide what to do. A baby that is 6 or 7months that begins BLS usually won't actually swallow anything for a couple of months. That is normal. This process gets them used to real texture and gets them to use their mouth to chew and deal with solids at the natural rate that they are supposed to. It's also the perfect compliment to breastfeeding as it allows a child to continue to "Self Regulate" while feeding. If you know CPR, and you use french fry sized pieces of food, you can rest easy and proceed! HTH!

great advice! Thanks for posting! and thanks lidarln for bumping
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet