Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLW panic

Default BLW panic

O.K., so we were all ready to try this BabyLed Weaning technique, and I'd been reading up on it in the weeks prior to our son's 6 month mark. The big day arrives, I cut up a nice big "chip-shaped" chunk of organic avacado and hand it to the babe. He entusiastically starts sucking and gnawing on it, and, as expected, extracts some bits off of it that he's not quite sure what to do with, and makes some yucky faces and mouth movements including some gagging, which we expected. We're o.k. with this-it's what we expected. But then my partner says nervously: "What happens when he breaks off a bigger hunk?" (which seemed inevitable at this point) "won't he choke?". We then immediately removed the chunk, mashed it with a fork and let him go at it with his hands, which he also enjoyed.

So, now we don't know what to do. We like the idea of babies learning to eat solids in this fashion, but after watching it in action, it seems rather dangerous. Our boy is a ravenous sucker, and I can guarantee he's going to break off bigger chunks of food. And I've spent my whole life with the understanding that you don't allow babies to put things in their mouths that they can choke on! Can anybody give me some advice or assurances? Other's experiences with this?

Default Re: BLW panic

have you taken a baby cpr or 1st aid class?
    That would ease your mind that you would know what to do in an emergancy!

most babies have a realy good gag reflux. And they will get out foods.
    They get into trouble when they choke on toys or foods that are hard, or ballons/plastic sacks.

6 months is very young.

Wait. There is no reason you can't mash it and let hiim love it that way. Or that you can't cut it into chunks that he can't choke on. It will get easier, I promise. The 6 month mark is a guideline, and my ds wasn't ready then, not for chunks. But he has gotten really, really good at gagging stuff out without the drama that he once had. Even bigger chunks are okay, really, as long as they gag them out, and its likely that he will. Infant CPR is very reassuring!!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

If you're doing BLW then make sure you take a CPR class first. Seriously you will feel so much better about the whole thing.

The 'chip sized piece' is only one way. You have to find what works with your own child. Some like their food cut up, some mashed, some big pieces. They say chip sized piece mainly so they can pick it up and get some in their mouth to begin with.

My DS did badly with the chip sized piece and does a lot better with his food in smaller pieces.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

i agree Infant and child CPR is a must, I am a CPR instructor for the Red Cross in my free time and have been for 8 years.

not only will the CPR part make you feel better but knowing what to do in a choking emergency is also covered in detail, when my son begins to gag i am assured by knowing that as long as he is making sounds he can breathe, if he breathe he is not choking, let him do the work and wait and watch and be ready in case he does need you. my DH last night when DS started coughing went to hit him on the back while he was seated in the chair and i about had a heart attack, i stopped him and finished the feeding myself, as soon as DS was asleep for the night i gave DH a complete class full of info in about 45 minutes...

i also agree there is nothing wrong with mashing up the food or using smaller pieces, also softer foods helped us more like really soft pears, baked sweet potato wedges....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thanks so much everyone for your responses. I do know first aid/ CPR. Actually I'm an RN. I think that might be part of my problem. I'm more familiar wth possibile tragic outcomes than most people. Lucky me. But I'll heed everyone's advice and have a little faith in baby's instincts and reflexes!

What would happen if he bit off a piece to big to deal with is he would gag and tongue reflex it out of his mouth. The word "chip" is English for "French Fry" and if you use that standard you really have nothing to worry about because things that are French Fry width are not large enough to block the airway. So either it will go down or come up and out. And honestly, when they 1st start, pretty much everything DOES come back out.
    They key to BLS is to let them control what is going into their mouth. Let them decide what to do. A baby that is 6 or 7months that begins BLS usually won't actually swallow anything for a couple of months. That is normal. This process gets them used to real texture and gets them to use their mouth to chew and deal with solids at the natural rate that they are supposed to. It's also the perfect compliment to breastfeeding as it allows a child to continue to "Self Regulate" while feeding. If you know CPR, and you use french fry sized pieces of food, you can rest easy and proceed! HTH!
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; May 23rd, 2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Had to add the word NOT in a vital spot. OOPS!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    If you know CPR, and you use french fry sized pieces of food, you can rest easy and proceed! HTH!

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for your specific guidance. I wanted to know exactly what I should do and expect, as this isn't entirely clear on the BLW sites. So thank you. What did you (or anyone else) use as a reference when you started out with this?

i've been using previous thread's here.... mostly the responses on them from DJ's mom to be exact...

there is a wonderful large post and a lot of info in NolaMomma's thread...i'll see if i can find it and bump it...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07