Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Re: HELP Lazy suckler/breast as pacifier

Default Re: HELP Lazy suckler/breast as pacifier

First off, thank you all for your words of encouragement...I will need to call on them during the long crying/hunger bouts each night. To refresh, we did have some really tough nights. He seems to get worse each night, wanting the breast to go to sleep. And when I think that he's finally down for the count, I'll check to see if he has unlatched himself, which usually is the case. But as soon as he realizes that the nipple is no longer in his mouth, he wakes up crying. I tried the side lying position to give him the breast during the night, but my husband is worried that if I fall asleep and turn the wrong way, I could perhaps suffocate him with my breast...(sounds kinda funny, but I can see his point). He also worries about SIDS. His stand is "no stuffed toys, no blankets near his face", then why allow the breast to be in his face? So I only did that once. Then, I saw things were getting better and for 24 hours, the baby had a great latch and was getting really satisfied at each feeding. But I wasn't sure my latch was as good as it could be, so I had a LLL consultant come to the house and help me. I am not bashing her or the philosophy, but my son absolutely hated and refused her angle, position, etc. He refused to have his upper back shoved into the breast and fought it for the three hours that she was here. He cried alot when it came to feeding and would not latch on no matter what. Soooo, needless to say, after an awful night of him being confused, (she suggested I continue to try her way), we are now going back to the way I was doing it before.
    Also, I had OB/GYN appt today, and took the baby with me. My ob/gyn says he has reflux and that is causing alot of his troubles at the breast. Her children had it as well. What's funny is that I did suggest that to others, and to the LLL and they said he probably doesn't have it.
    Does anyone have any advice for handling the reflux when it comes to feedings? OB suggested short feedings, lots of burping and get sleep positioner for him. Any other thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry so long.
    Lori

What symptoms does your baby have that makes your OB think he has reflux?

Regarding cosleeping with your son and suffocating with your breast. I've coslept with my daughter from day one and she's an all night nurser. She and I both fall asleep with her still latched on almost every night at one point or another. I can't see how it would be possible to get my breast up over the top of her face or pushed into her face enough to cause any worry. I know I personally am so keenly aware of my baby that if she moves just a tiny bit I know it and am awake ... Dr. Sears' website states the following on mom's awareness of their baby's presence and on co-sleeping safety:

"Place baby adjacent to mother, rather than between mother and father. Mothers we have interviewed on the subject of sharing sleep feel they are so physically and mentally aware of their baby's presence even while sleeping, that it's extremely unlikely they would roll over onto their baby. Some fathers, on the other hand, may not enjoy the same sensitivity of baby's presence while asleep; so it is possible they might roll over on or throw out an arm onto baby. After a few months of sleep-sharing, most dads seem to develop a keen awareness of their baby's presence."

I am so sorry you had an unpleasant experience with the LLL Leader. People don't always "click" I suppose. Is there another leader in your area that you could call? Or perhaps even one in a nearby town?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmommie
    I tried the side lying position to give him the breast during the night, but my husband is worried that if I fall asleep and turn the wrong way, I could perhaps suffocate him with my breast...(sounds kinda funny, but I can see his point). He also worries about SIDS. His stand is "no stuffed toys, no blankets near his face", then why allow the breast to be in his face?

What's the difference between a breast in your baby's face and a stuffed toy in your baby's face?

The breast is attached to a brain -- yours!

A baby whose face is covered with something that prevents him from breathing easily is going to kick and fuss. That's a basic survival instinct. A mother who is sleeping beside the baby will be roused very quickly by his struggles for air.

The exception to this would be a mother whose alertness is altered by alcohol or drugs, including OTC remedies that tend to make you sleepy. The experts also suggest that severely obese mothers should not co-sleep with their infants.

There are things that can make co-sleeping more safe and things that can make it more risky; feel free to ask for more info about this. I just couldn't let your husband's "breast = teddy bear" statement pass unchallenged!

--Rebecca

I agree with the previous posts. Many a nights in my house have been spent with DS latched on all night long. The only scare I had was DH putting his hand over DS's face but I realized it the minute it happened....now dh sleeps with his back to us when he is nursing on the breast that is close to dh.

Also you can check out this link to dr. sears' website for safe co-sleeping tips and list of the benefits of co-sleeping www.askdrsears.com

Hi Ethansmommie,
    Here's some more info on reflux. Maybe this will help with some of your questions about symptoms and positioning?
    I'm sorry you had such an unhappy experience with the Leader who came to your house. Is there another Leader nearby you would feel comfortable calling on instead, if you needed to?
    It's very normal for infants to want to comfort nurse. You aren't "just a pacifier" -- you're his mother! And, as some of the posters mentioned in your other thread, it is common for infants to nurse frequently or cluster-nurse early on as you are establishing your milk supply and going through some initial growth spurts.
    Hang in there! And keep letting us know how it's going.

Mary

Hello
    If you are uncomfortable with co sleeping, as it is not for everyone you could try an arms reach co sleeper or put the crib with one side off up to the bed. That way he is close for nursing but safe in HIS bed, it is important to respect the daddies thoughts also. You could also present him with some safe co-sleeping advice and that may make him feel better.
    If ds has reflux there are meds that will help. In the meantime I do not know if shorter feeds would help? It is very important for a baby to be able to nurse for as long as needed on one breast to get all of the hind milk. Taking a baby off before they have gotten to that is like only giving a baby the appetizer and not the main course. More burps, I would def agree with, also elevating his bed/your bed, whatever he sleeps. And also keeping him upright after he nurses.
    We wish you all the best!