Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: food processor?

Default food processor?

i haven't started my ds on solids yet (almost 5 months old) but would like to prepare in advance and find out what some recommendations are from you mommas who make your own baby food...

what kind of food processor or machine do you use/recommend for pureeing food for baby?
    thanks!

Default Re: food processor?

I find that unless I'm making large amounts (which I rarely ever do), the blender actually works better than the food processor. It all collects in the bottom better, because of the shape, so there's less scraping it off the sides and stuff. I have an Oster blender, and I love it! Not that I don't also love my Cuisinart food processor, it's just that it's better for large amounts, like I said.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

I bought a $30 dollar food processor at walmart. Like the pp said though, it's great for large amounts of food. Although it works just fine for small amounts except you have scrape the walls of it then process and repeat for a few times before the food is pureed evenly. I haven't used them, but they sell food processors specifically for making baby food at babys r us and they're made smaller so it's alot easier to make smaller amounts of food. I can't tell you if they're any good though, since I didn't get it, although I wish I had.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

I have a cuisinart 4 cup mini-prep that has worked fine (about $35). But honestly I haven't used it that much. I started pureeing at 6 months, but DD wasn't really interested in eating solids until 8 months. Now she does fine with fork mashed food, like sweet potatoes, acorn squash and bananas. So I guess I'm glad I didn't spend a bunch of money on a full size processor!

I use a full size cuisinart food processor because I already had it and I love it. I started out making what I thought were fairly small amounts (two medium sized sweet potatoes, a cup of brown rice, two pears, etc) at a time and it wasn't too bad. I had to scrape once during each puree but the blade somehow seemed to get most of it off of the sides and blended in. I make a batch of each food and freeze it.

For my older kids I used one of those hand blenders.

Cheap Hand Blender
    Joyce May 5th 1998
    Natthaniel Nov 16th 1999
    Abbigale expected July 2nd 2008

i forgot i have a mini cusinart i got years ago from my wedding registry that is spankin' new. i guess i can finally take it out of the box and use it. (as u can tell...i'm not much of a cook. just thought it looked so cute and u know how carried away one can get with that little scanner thing when registering. ) .....

thanks so much for all your input. we may still have a month or so to go before solids, but i appreciate all your help.

I'm planning on using my magic bullet
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by Iryssa View Post
    I find that unless I'm making large amounts (which I rarely ever do), the blender actually works better than the food processor. It all collects in the bottom better, because of the shape, so there's less scraping it off the sides and stuff. I have an Oster blender, and I love it! Not that I don't also love my Cuisinart food processor, it's just that it's better for large amounts, like I said.
    I agree totally. I bought a food processor just for my little one and never ended up using it. Kinda a shame I should probably take it back.

I used my magic bullet and it worked great. I plan on using it again with my next LO. Also, now it is great for making smoothies for my DS. Much easier to clean than the blender.

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70