Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recent spit up?

Default Recent spit up?

Lately I've noticed more spit up? Today she spit up around 5-6 times in about an hour but then wanted to feed again. I don't know if she's using me as a pacifier or having tummy problems and wanting to suck. We don't give her paci's so I really would like not to offer one but she might need one if she's just wanting to suck and not really eat. I don't want to be overly alarmed but I'm a new mother and spit up like that bothers me since we haven't had that issue until recently. Is there something I'm doing the wrong or is this normal for her age? She seems rather content but a tad more fussy lately and this simply could be due to the fact that she's waking up a big more lately as in more alert. I was told the more alert they become the more they tend to fuss since they are awake longer periods of the day. Each day is a bit different with her still though so we are gradually learning. Sooooo, help a new mom out! Thank you!!!!! This is such a learning experience with living with a baby 24/7. It's a full time job!!!!!!

Default Re: Recent spit up?

Spit up is so variable babe to babe. Some literally spit up after every meal and some a few times a month. 5-6/hr is a lot so it makes sense she'd feel hungry afterward. In case you are wondering, it is still safe to sleep them on their backs; the spit up just rolls out the side of their mouth.

Re: fussiness. It may help to remember how immature your baby's nervous system is at this stage. They literally don't know day from night and startle at everything. She may fuss from a physical need (gas, hungry etc) or from a psychological one like lonely. My little guy is quick to let me know he wants to be included in his older brother's story time thank you very much. Try and notice if there is a pattern to the fussiness; there may be multiple causes. Pay attention to what consoles your LO besides the breast: kangaroo care, tummy rubs, back rubs, bum pats, singing, walk abouts.... I let my little guy comfort feed a lot (like right now) but it does make it very hard to get anything else done (except one-handed typing at the computer).

Everday IS different with a newborn. Try to notice patterns so you can learn what is normal for your little one. As she matures over the next few weeks you can start to get into more of a routine. At 3 months old they are getting a little more predictable which makes your life easier. It will get a lot easier in the near future: your LO will start to be awake during the day and asleep during the night, she will eventually have regular naps (2-3 per day) two of which will continue well past her first birthday. Picture it, you can actually have a daytime nap and have time to make dinner or fold laundry.

Your LO is going to do so many things in the months to come that will amaze you that the time will pass quicker than you can imagine. The first 6 weeks are the hardest...hang in there. Then set your goal at 3 months...now things are really changing. Before you know it you'll be looking forward to all those firsts that we diligently record in the baby books.

I found the most important thing in the early months of parenthood was to hook up with other moms. It can really set your mind at ease to know your kid or you are not the only who [fill in the blank].

Hang in there.
    2005 2008

Default Re: Recent spit up?

Wow, thank you so very much for all the great advice!! I really appreciate you taking the time to write that out for me. It really helped!!!!