Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Straw Cup-am I Missing Something?

Default Straw Cup-am I Missing Something?

my lo does pretty well with sippy cups, esp if the smaller ones so they're easier to hold. For variety, I bought her two nuby flip up straw sippy cups with the silicone straws since so many posted how well their lo's liked straw cups. They have built in valves (which I didn't notice when I bought them), but I can't get them to work. I've tried putting water in both and can't suck anything through the straw myself- nothing comes through at all . Am I missing something? I've already destroyed the package, so I don't think I can take them back. I just feel like there's some kind of secret to it or something I'm not getting. I can't believe I'm being outsmarted by a cup...Anyone use these or know how to make them work?
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Default Re: Straw Cup-am I Missing Something?

I think you need to bite a little to open the valve in the straw.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

i had to bite down a little bit on mine. My 9 month old doesnt like them, because of that valve, but she will drink out of any other straw and will even drink juice boxes. Im hoping when she gets a little older she will like it, so i didnt waste my money on it.

My LO loves them, and has no problem and doesn't have to bite down. Not sure why they are doing that for you? Just be careful if you use a regular straw that they don't "jam" it into there palate.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

yep, I tried it and you do have to bite/compress the straw and suck at the same time. Of all the stupid..., oh well at least the mystery is solved. Nothing a little straw surgery couldn't take care of, I just put a thin knife in the straw and cut out a hole where the valve is. Works fine now... I think they're more concerned with it not spilling than the child being able to drink out of it.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Quote Originally Posted by jadesmama View Post
    Nothing a little straw surgery couldn't take care of.
    Straw surgery...that's really funny. I wouldn't have thought of that.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Ours worked that way at first, as well. They get easier and easier with use and hot water washing, as well as the little surgery you performed. I've done that with a few of ours.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

We use the Munkins brand and they have a valve type thing in the straw but when you suck the pressure from the liquid forces it open so they don't have to bite. It is just enough to keep it from dripping all over but a few drops leak out know and then. They are cheaper then most cups but don't have a cover on the straw.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work