Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APNO - How do I get it??

Question APNO - How do I get it??

I want to try using APNO to help get rid of thrush - those of you who have tried it, how did you get it? I called my OB DR today and she seems to think the ped should prescribe it for me. - I called them - and they have never prescribed it. (Neither has my OB - in fact, has never heard of it!)
    How do I get this?
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

Default Re: APNO - How do I get it??

You do need a prescription, and it should be from your OB. I brought in all of Dr. Newman's protocol sheets for my OB to look at and she prescribed it for me. She's really cool though, not one of those that thinks she knows everything.
    If the protocol sheets don't work, you could email Dr. Newman directly and ask him to contact your doctor maybe.
    BTW there is nothing unusual in the cream. It's just that it has to be specially mixed together at the pharmacy.
    HTH!!

This link should help with the info you need.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    You do need a prescription, and it should be from your OB. I brought in all of Dr. Newman's protocol sheets for my OB to look at and she prescribed it for me. She's really cool though, not one of those that thinks she knows everything.
    If the protocol sheets don't work, you could email Dr. Newman directly and ask him to contact your doctor maybe.
    BTW there is nothing unusual in the cream. It's just that it has to be specially mixed together at the pharmacy.
    HTH!!

This link should help with the info you need.
    I did the same thing. They hadn't heard of it but they looked up all the stuff and then gave it to me.

Me (25)
    DH (26)
    DS Born December 5, 2007

Nursed 1 year and we are going on strong!

I am:
    , , , and

Thanks - I have given my OB all the info - but she wanted to get the okay from the pedi first. So, I am waiting on him to okay it and then my OB will call it in for me.
    -ing Mom to:

I love this site!!

i went to a midwife who wrote a prescription for me~ then i went to a compunding pharmacy who made it for me--- it was expensive, like $80 and insurance didnt pay for it!!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

but worth every single penny!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Jasmina - Thanks - I was going to ask if it was worth it .

Hopefully the pedi will call back today so the OB will call it in for me. (Aw - to be thrush free....I can only dream - no more boiling, bleaching, vinegar rinses, nystatin treatments...etc! )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: The Pedi office called this AM - they will not recommend it (apparently they called the Center for Breastfeeding at a local hospital - and they said they don't recommend it because it has several different medications in it for several different issues. They recommend we determine the exact problem and treat only that.) So, after two rounds of nystatin and one round of diflucan - I am at a loss at this point as to how to get rid of this thrush. The pedi office suggested that I call the Center to discuss the problem with them and maybe they can help solve it.
    Last edited by BBB's Mom; May 21st, 2008 at 07:30 AM.
    -ing Mom to:

I love this site!!

What are your symptoms? Sometimes what looks like thrush is really a bacterial infection, especially if you are feeling it mostly within your breast. According to the Breastfeeding Answer Book, thrush is often resistent to nystatin, but the fact that it didn't seem to respond to diflucan either makes me wonder. Gentian violet is another option and you can get that over the counter for less than $5. Just throwing some ideas out there... It must be really frustrating to be getting the run around like this!
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB's Mom View Post
    Update: The Pedi office called this AM - they will not recommend it (apparently they called the Center for Breastfeeding at a local hospital - and they said they don't recommend it because it has several different medications in it for several different issues. They recommend we determine the exact problem and treat only that.)
    BOO HISS!! OK, but seriously... this stuff saved me from quitting breastfeeding. I can't even imagine why the ped's office would need to be involved. Part of what makes APNO work so well is that sometimes women who have thrush have more than one problem. I had thrush but also a suspected bacterial infection because of cracked nipples. It's not like this is some whacky "As Seen on TV" product. Argh. I am sorry and frustrated for you mama!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    What are your symptoms? Sometimes what looks like thrush is really a bacterial infection, especially if you are feeling it mostly within your breast. According to the Breastfeeding Answer Book, thrush is often resistent to nystatin, but the fact that it didn't seem to respond to diflucan either makes me wonder. Gentian violet is another option and you can get that over the counter for less than $5. Just throwing some ideas out there... It must be really frustrating to be getting the run around like this!
    This is exactly what happened to me. I thought I had thrush and went through 2 rounds of difuclan and other measures (restricted diet, boiling everything in vinegar, etc.) when I finally saw a doctor who specializes in lactation (an IBCLC as well) who diagnosed a bacterial infection. She said that there might be a yeast overgrowth but that she believed it to be secondary to the bacterial infection. She also said that she didn't think APNO would help much once the infection was in my milk ducts (which it was-it was awful).
    Anyway, I went on two rounds of antibiotics (azithromycin) and was cured.

Also, the active ingredient in APNO that fights yeast is miconozale, the same thing that is in OTC vaginal yeast infection treatments. You should be able to purchase miconozale at a pharmacy without a prescription. I did.

HTH.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on