Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek question

Default Fenugreek question

My son is 6 months old, and I've been back to work for about a month and a half. When I first came back to work, I could pump 8-9 ounces a day (I don't respond well to the pump at all), but now am only pumping 2-3 ounces, if I'm lucky. He seems to be nursing well in the evenings and overnights, though, so at least that's not decreasing. I've been taking the fenugreek for a week now, and haven't seen any improvement yet. For those of you who have taken it, how long did it take for you to see any difference?

My lactation consultant recommended Reglan if the fenugreek didn't work, but to not take it any longer than three weeks because of the potential for depression as a side effect.

I was only able to nurse my daughter for four months, so I feel pretty successful making it this far with my son. But I don't want to give it up. I'd appreciate any insight and advice you can offer.

Default Re: Fenugreek question

i actually took the powdered form in the capsules (3 capsules 3 times a day)...and noticed an improvement within 4 days or so. i bought my fenugreek from GNC.

good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I have the powered capsule that I bought from Natural Living Center. I didn't even know about the liquid form. I was taking two of the capsules twice a day, and I've now started taking them three times a day. I'll check out the liquid form, too. Thanks for the info!

I took three capsules of fenugreek three times a day for a couple of weeks and saw a small increase in production. I've been on Reglan for two weeks and haven't seen any more success on that than on the fenugreek. Another thread has several posts that recommend domperidone over Reglan, but it has to be filled at a compounding pharmacy and not many OBs are familiar with it as a galactologue.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008