Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: karo corn syrup for gas

Default karo corn syrup for gas

so we have tried everything to help with lucille's gas and today the nurse at my peditricians office said to try 1 teaspoon of karo corn syrup everyother feeding. we've tried it with one bottle and i'm just curious if this is a legitimate remedy?

Default Re: karo corn syrup for gas

I have heard of karo syrup to help them go poo if they are constipated, I haven't heard of it just to relieve gas. We battled with gas for a little while, and it was awful. How old is she? I know you said you tried everything, but what does everything include, what all did you try?
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

lucille is 8 weeks thursday. we have tried nuks bottles and dr. brown's, i have restricted my diet to the blandest of bland foods, cut out caffiene, and dairy, mylocan drops, bicycle legs and rubbing her belly, nursing, and finally walking for hours around the house (7-11:30 pm). she is just miserable at those hours and it breaks my heart.
    i also tried formula for 2 days to see if it was my breast milk that was causing it (thankfully it wasn't).

Not to dismiss your concerns, but that time of night is such a common time for crankiness. My lo's always had lots of gas while they were fussy and we tried everything but I don't know if any of it really helped. I think it just passed over time.

I have never heard of corn syrup for gas. Not sure how that would help, it is just sugar. I would think it would actually cause baby more upset.

I think you are doing all the right things, rubbing tummy, walking, gas drops etc. It will pass.

Not sure if your nursing, pumping or doing both. But I would suggest not using the bottles unless you have to. Baby will swallow less air while nursing than w/ a bottle.

I have a son who is/was terribly gassy. I used the simethecone drops with every feeding. It has definately calmed down the gas. I use Dr. Brown's bottles and Playtex nursers. Both work in their own way. 8 weeks is still terribly early and even tho she's on breastmilk, her digestive tract still has to mature. She could have a touch of colic. Babies tend to outgrow that at around 3 months.
    Hang in there momma!! Things will improve. I found that if I relax about a lot of things, and just concentrate on feeding little one...they calm down too and all is good in the world.
    I do use a pacifier. It is a godsend for me!! And my son. He calms right down when he has it...I then swaddle him snuggly and just rock him, with his head next to my heart so he can hear my heartbeat. Then is just say "shhhh" for extended breaths just above his ear, in a low tone. It puts him out every time!! I am also patting his back at the same time. He fusses and struggles, but his eyes are drowsy and he relaxes and sleeps. Sometimes I even hold my hand on his belly with a little pressure while rocking.
    I have read that a lot of moms here do babywearing. Some babies just need to be held a lot.

HIH!!

Nicki
    Married to my BFF Yuri 10/6/2001
    Luka John born 3/4/2008 via C-section
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    Been back to work since May 27th, 2008I am an RN,work on IV Team.
    Enjoying his little smiles
    So love being a momma!!
    <--Luka John, 9 months old.

My baby is 7 months old, but whenever we wear him he stops crying right away. So... to the babywearing.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

From what I can find, Karo by itself is for constipation, not gas. I would think Karo like that would increase gas as it's pretty much straight sugar .. . the gut bacteria would break it down and release various compounds, some of which are gas.

Look here (non-LLL source, and some things are probably not LLL recommended, as an FYI) for some interesting gas and colic remedies.

From what you say, though, I suspect it's the evening crankies, not gas. Gas would be bothersome all the time, not just in the evening. I'd try putting her in a sling before she starts up and working with her as you are doing. It may take a few days to work and get her to calm down.

That said, some babies are just cranky at night, no matter what you do. My first cried a lot, but even more between 6-11PM every night, for the first 3.5 months of his life We did everything you are "supposed" to do, and it's just his personality. . . Adjusting to life out of the womb was hard for him. It's hard on us parents too. Hang in there. It will go away with time.

Oh, and have they considered acid reflux? Turned out that was why my oldes was so darn cranky all the time. Medication, started when he was 4 months old, sure helped. Too bad we didn't figure it out before I was crazy from all the crying.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by lucysmomma View Post
    so we have tried everything to help with lucille's gas and today the nurse at my peditricians office said to try 1 teaspoon of karo corn syrup everyother feeding. we've tried it with one bottle and i'm just curious if this is a legitimate remedy?
    No, not that I have ever head of. In fact, because corn syrup sugars cause water to be held in the bowels, causing baby to poop, it might actually cause MORE gas.

Corn syrup is sometimes questioned as a legitimate cure for baby constipation, as there is a theoretical concern that could be contaminated with botulism spores, not to mention the fact that it's an unnatural food for babies.

The best cure for gas in babies is (believe it or not!) TIME. Most gas is just the effect of an immature digestive system. Sometimes baby's natural reflexes cause these what appears to be symptoms of gas. See here:
    http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=41

Quote Originally Posted by lucysmomma View Post
    lucille is 8 weeks thursday. we have tried nuks bottles and dr. brown's, i have restricted my diet to the blandest of bland foods, cut out caffiene, and dairy, mylocan drops, bicycle legs and rubbing her belly, nursing, and finally walking for hours around the house (7-11:30 pm). she is just miserable at those hours and it breaks my heart.
    i also tried formula for 2 days to see if it was my breast milk that was causing it (thankfully it wasn't).
    Lucys, it sounds like you could be experiencing what is known as "the witching hour". Many babies have a time of day where they are fussy and uncomfortable. This has nothing to do with your diet, or really even with gas. Please read these resources for more info:
    www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t051200.asp

Here is some info about gas in breastfed babies:
    www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html

Hang in there! It does get better!
    Last edited by Give Peas A Chance; May 20th, 2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Clarify :)

My friend had a preemie at 32 weeks who had Karo syrop in every bottle to help with constipation. I hadn't heard of it for gas, but why not give it a try? If it doesn't work, no harm.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

We dealt with the gas too. If I remember correctly, most often its caused by a growth spurt. Their bodies are growing SO fast and that includes their developing digestive system. I know it got WAY better at 10 weeks. Hang in there!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)