Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding or Bottlefeeding with EBM??

Default Breastfeeding or Bottlefeeding with EBM??

I need some advise about what should I do.
    My DD has a reflux and food allergy to something I eat (I started dairy, soy, egg, gluten free diet 3 days ago so hopefully we will resolve the problem).
    Because of her reflux and the allergy DD started crying at the breast several weeks ago (I have a post about that) - initially she would do it few times a day and after distracting her I would manage to bring her back to the breast. However over the past week it has gotten worse - she cries constantly during the day when I try to breastfeed her - the moment I take her in my arms and lay her down to feed her face turns red and she starts screaming - she does not even try to latch on So I end up giving her bottle with ebm. The only time she feeds ok is at night. According to my ped dd associates breastfeeding with being in pain that's why she refuses to take the breast.
    Should I continue giving her bottles during the day or should I be persistent and keep offering her the breast only??
    I am affraid she would hate breastfeeding so much if I continue trying to nurse her she would stop take the breast at all. On the other hand I am also affraid she would prefer the bottle over the breast(
    Also I am going back to work in 2 weeks so she would have to get bottles of ebm anyways (I am not sure if it is too early for sippy cup).
    Any advise what should I do will be very appreciated!!!
    Thanks so much!!!
    Borislava

Default Re: Breastfeeding or Bottlefeeding with EBM??

i posted about my dd refusing a bottle & many said they had success w/ a cup. i haven't tried it yet, myself. if you want her to return to the breast you may just want to skip the bottle. i would continue to offer the breast but don't push her if she refuses. i have read that when baby is protesting nursing if you are not ready to wean do not offer artificial nipples of any kind. mine has reflux & after associating nursing w/ pain for so long she just got into the habit of protesting. she will still let out a little squeak or cry when i get her in position to nurse but i think it is mostly out of habit. she usually fusses 15-30 seconds & then latches right on & she has started nursing well again.

Part of her pain may be from her postitioning at the breast. Is she lying down to feed?? That can cause a lot of pain in a reflux baby. You might try holding her more upright while breastfeeding.

Thanks for your responses!!
    I usually nurse her lying on her side, but I've tried different position incl holding her upright. It seems the second she senses that I am going to breastfeed her she starts screaming. The worst which is really heart breaking for me is that sometimes she starts crying even when I take her in my arms or on my lap just to hold her!!!