Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speeding up the Baby Led Solids Process?

Default Speeding up the Baby Led Solids Process?

My 1 year old is still exclusively on breastmilk - by her choice. She never wanted any purees and still refuses to eat solids. Over the last couple of months, we have put food on her tray and let her play.

She has begun to put some foods in her mouth but spits them out almost immediately. Funny, she'll eat the cardboard off a book with no problem, but, squash? No way!

Thus far, we've tried squash, sweet potatoes, avocado, apples, pears, pasta, eggs, blueberries, brown rice, peas and on and on... I am a vegetarian and we eat almost everything organic. So, I let her eat whatever I am eating but thus far, she has liked nothing! Actually, she swallowed a small spoonful of organic soy yogurt, but, that has been about it.

The issue is that I am 10 weeks pregnant and my milk supply has already started to go down. I supplement with the freezer stash which is starting to take a noticible hit. I am fearful she still won't be eating solids by the time my milk goes away. Does anyone have any tips to "naturally" speed the baby led solids process along? I suppose that's kind of taking the 'baby led' out of 'baby led solids' but I'm not sure what else to do... Any advice would be much appreciated!

Default Re: Speeding up the Baby Led Solids Process?

I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions on how to get your daughter to start eating whole solids in order to hurry the baby led solids process.

A different kind of suggestion for you though, since you really need her to start eating solids for nutrition right away, is to change up how you're feeding her a bit. Perhaps it would help if you mashed the foods you're eating with a fork and tried spoon feeding her. Or mashed them and put them in a little bowl and gave her a spoon to feed herself.

If she didn't like the mashed solids, you could try tiny dices of whatever you're eating. Small enough for her to grab with her pincer grasp, but not so large she couldn't swallow it without choking.

Foods that were always hits with either or both of my boys were: natural applesauce (unsweetened), homemade oatmeal with diced fruit (tiny dices so the flavors saturated the oatmeal, blueberries and apples worked well), mashed potatoes (reg. or sweet), macaroni and cheese (you can make it healthy, and at over 1 year, she could have milk and dairy products, if you eat dairy), cheerios, graham crackers, fruit dices (maybe cooked fruit, or canned fruit in its own juice instead of raw so its softer?) bananas?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I really can't think of a way to do true baby-led solids and hurry the process. It might be a good idea to discuss the matter with your pediatrician though, since you said you're already noticing your supply drop a little.

Who tries to feed her? If she rejects food from you, she may accept it from another caregiver. My son has only recently started allowing me to feed him (He's 14 months). For a long time, he would only accept solids from dad or grandma. I couldn't even be in view in order for him to eat. If he knew my breasts were around he wasn't going to accept any substitute.

Firstly Congrats on you new little lodger!
    Ashley had no interest in solids until a week or two before his first birthday. And then it struck....THE HUNGER!
    Within a couple of days, not only was he not spitting it out with a disgusted look on his face, he was clawing his way up anybodies leg if they were eating and banging on the fridge door!
    Dont know what tipped the balance but in the last month he has started devouring everything. So dont despair, i guess Im say! It could very well change over night and one thing is for sure, ya baby wont starve to death, if she's hungry, she'll eat. xxxxxx
    And one thing tht may help. He plays with his spoon and is quite good at gettin some in but I chew the food then finger-feed him, one bite for me, one bite for him. He wont take it off a spoon from me.
    HTH
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

We're about to hit the 1 year mark and my DS is doing the same thing. He is extremely picky. I did find that he loves cheese pizza, jello, and spaghetti and that helped a lot. If you could find one or two things that are a 'staple' you can gradually introduce new foods along with the ones you know are a hit.

Keep offering, it takes many many times of one food before they like it.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Not to be the lone voice of dissent here, but this is one where I would call my pedi. My mom is a pediatric feeding therapist, and the majority of cases she sees are kids aho are so addicted to BF (seriously, my son will need boobie rehab someday!!) that they have no interest in solids. From what she told me, and this is just my understanding, after a year old kids really need the solids. The kids she sees are exhibiting symptoms of malnutrition!!! NOT TO SAY that this is happening to your child, but I would at least talk to someone who can do some bloodwork to make sure she is still thriving. I know people are not going to agree with this, but with your supply going down, I would make sure I had a plan in place to make sure my child got adeqate nutrition.

Thank your for all the advice... There have been feeding problems with Isabella from the beginning. We were never able to get a successful latch, so, I've been pumping for over a year now. We have taken her to a speech pathologist who specializes in pediatric eating habits. And, we had blood work done at her 1 year check up -- iron was fine and no supplements were needed. I am talking to a family friend who works with a dietary early intervention program and we are research the program in our town. We decided to at least get her assessed again to see if there are any realy problems, or, if she's just a very strong willed girl

In the meantime, I will continue to try some of the other methods suggested... I made mashed sweet potatoes yesterday and orzo. Both were fun to play with and the tiniest nugget of potato may have made it into her mouth. Unfortunately, she reacts the same way to food whether I feed her or my husband... I do, however, look forward to her banging on the frige door

Could it be a sensory issue?

Quote Originally Posted by T&M_Mama View Post
    Not to be the lone voice of dissent here, but this is one where I would call my pedi. My mom is a pediatric feeding therapist, and the majority of cases she sees are kids aho are so addicted to BF (seriously, my son will need boobie rehab someday!!) that they have no interest in solids. From what she told me, and this is just my understanding, after a year old kids really need the solids. The kids she sees are exhibiting symptoms of malnutrition!!! NOT TO SAY that this is happening to your child, but I would at least talk to someone who can do some bloodwork to make sure she is still thriving. I know people are not going to agree with this, but with your supply going down, I would make sure I had a plan in place to make sure my child got adeqate nutrition.

Signs of malnutrition after 1 year of just BF'ing?
    Just because a child turns one year doesn't mean they are suddenly all grown up and eating like an adult. It's my understanding that the weaning process is gradual and BM still plays an important role into the toddler years for many children.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    Signs of malnutrition after 1 year of just BF'ing?
    Just because a child turns one year doesn't mean they are suddenly all grown up and eating like an adult. It's my understanding that the weaning process is gradual and BM still plays an important role into the toddler years for many children.

My mom only sees the extreme cases. I mean, only a very small percentage of kids that age would have that severe of a reaction. But, I wonder if the moms of kids that age could be having supply issues?? I don't know! It does make sense though, that if BM is all your child eats, and they can't get as much of it as they would want, then they would need something else to make up for what they are not getting.
    And, I am sure it is not at one year EXACTLY that kids need to have the calories from food. I am sure, like with most things, it varies from child to child! That was my point, I think. For some kids, it is FINE-O to have all BM for as long as they want. But, for some kids it is not ok. I know most kids can eat bananas whenever they want, and cheese too. But for my 3 year old, a banana can mean a trip to the ER because he can't poop!!! He is very sensitive to food and constipation, while other kids aren't. It has to be the same with eating solids, and many other things also!

Not trying to debate here, I just know what I have been told, and have been passing it along. I would hate to see a child needlessly suffer because I didn't speak up. I think on these boards, there is a prevailing wisdom. AP-ing, CD-ing, BLS, and on and on and on. I sometimes feel as if anyone who does not adhere to those ways of thinking is not supposed to say anything. I am actually afraid to post sometimes, because I may think differently on a certain subject, and I have seen too many times what happens when someone is the voice of dissent. I agree with most of what is written and discussed here. But, when it comes to the health of a child, can you be too careful? I think the OP should hear all sides, other than just the "of course just BM is fine as long as that is all she wants". There are kids who have eating issues and sensory issues. It is a real thing. Why shouldn't I say that?