Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only 3 days and this!

Default Only 3 days and this!

My DD was born 3 days ago. I feel as though she's been attached at the boob since she was born. Which I really can't complain b/c I think its great she is such an awesome nurser! The only thing is my poor nips can't handle much more. Crying or Very sad They're already cracked & bleeding. It hurts the entire time she's nursing...15-20 mins at each breast for 2 turns! So, it takes a full hour and fifteen minutes for her to finish a session and then she's ready to go again just a couple hours later. I've already gone through a tube of lanolin, tried the tea bags, I've been walking around w/out a shirt on since we've been home from the hospital to air these puppies out...but nothing seems to be helping. I resorted to pumping today and let my DH feed her a bottle. I feel like such a failure Its all I can do to not cry now just thinking about it. I feel as though I've let her down in some way. I've given up on her or something. And its not her at all! Its me! I feel like such a big baby...but man alive, its excruciating. I think I'm going to try those nipple shields to see if they work...if not, I don't really know what else to do. I guess I'll have to pump full time. I really didn't want to do that...I did for an entire year with my DS b/c of latch issues...but I really was looking forward to the whole nursing experience with DD. Any tips, advice?

Default Re: Only 3 days and this!

best tip someone gave me for sore nipples was to express a drop of breastmilk after each nursing session and rub over the nipple and let air dry. The natural oils in the milk help the healing process. Other than that I can't really help. But hang in there mama - it WILL get better!

Sending lots of your way!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

First off Congrats on your LO!!!!!

I am new to this so I can't help much but the pp had a good tip in leaving some breast milk on the nipple. That's what I was told also in the hospital. I'm not having your troubles yet (LO born 5/1) but hang in there. Don't give up just yet. You aren't a failure for giving him a bottle either. Do all you can and know you are doing a great job for trying!!!!!

Hang in there!!!

First of all, congrats on your new LO!!
    Second of all, breathe!! You're all panic-ie. Give yourself a break!! You just gave birth to a baby! Your hormones are completely out of whack! You have a touch of the baby blues. BF is not as easy as most think. But those who are committed to it, do succeed. Your sore nips with the cracked and bleeding sound like latch problems. www.kellysmom.com is a great source of info.
    Try and call your hospital and consult a LC. Hang in there mama!! Things will work themselves out!! Just try to relax a bit, and don't be so hard on yourself. You're doing a great job!!

Nicki
    Married to my BFF Yuri 10/6/2001
    Luka John born 3/4/2008 via C-section
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    Been back to work since May 27th, 2008I am an RN,work on IV Team.
    Enjoying his little smiles
    So love being a momma!!
    <--Luka John, 9 months old.

sorry...my fingers got too crazy...

go to www.kellymom.com

Nicki
    Married to my BFF Yuri 10/6/2001
    Luka John born 3/4/2008 via C-section
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    Been back to work since May 27th, 2008I am an RN,work on IV Team.
    Enjoying his little smiles
    So love being a momma!!
    <--Luka John, 9 months old.

It does get better! Most people find that pain while breastfeeding subsides as the baby's mouth gets bigger. I has a similarly painful few weeks but it got so much better. You're doing great!

With help from my midwife and lots of practice her latch got steadily better. It started getting better at about 3 weeks, and was drastically better by 4.

Just a thought, but could your LO have an incorrect latch? Would it be possible to meet with an LC to troubleshoot?
    Robin

STICK WITH IT! That's the one major piece of advice I have for you. Most moms give up at this point because it is painful at first. I also would cry at every session. Try the sheild for a few sesssions a day for a few day to give your nipples a break. But, don't get too attached to it, because your LO could get really used to it and it can cause latch problems if used consistantly. Keep doing what your doing, and also. maybe try icing your nipples before a session, it might numb them up enough to bear it, and it could help your nipples to come out so you can get a better latch. And makr sure your LO mouth is open WIDE when latching on, very important. Sorry, rambling. Your doing great, and keep saying to yourself, this will pass this will pass this will pass.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

If you are cracked and bleeding, definitely see someone in person. Something is wrong, but it isn't your fault! BFing is both a learned skill and an art, and sometimes we need those with some expertise to help us with both. If she isn't latching well, she might not be transferring milk well, and that might be part of the reason she is nursing so long (and it hurts so much.) I really hesitated to get help at first b/c I felt like this should be something I could achieve and I must be doing something wrong, but that just isn't true. Hang in there!
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Sounds like a latching problem. I am not in La Leche League (yet) but these ladies can provide all kinds of sugggestions about proper latching. Check your local hospitals/clinics for lactation consultants as well. And give yourself a big pat on the back and try to relax whenever you can. Drink lots of water.