Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ok... acidophilius or grapefruit seed extract?

Default Ok... acidophilius or grapefruit seed extract?

I'm soo confused! DS & I still have thrush, I posted about diflucan the other day but now I have more questions. The Ped prescribed Diflucan to my son and my dr prescribed Diflucan to me. But now my sister in law (a NICU nurse) said NO! Don't do that to his little liver- it is very hard on them. She wants me to try something more natural, which is what some of you were recommending to me.

So, I called my natural food store and they say to start with taking acidophilus. What should I do acidophilus or grapefruit seed extract? Can I still use nystatin with both? What's the difference? which is better? Please help, I'm going ot the natural food store soon. Thank you!

My husband just brought home the Physician's Desk Reference book about medicines from his work and it says diflucan isn't recommended for nursing mothers! Yikes... glad I didn't take it yet, although I know many people do.
    Last edited by MomofAaron; July 28th, 2006 at 10:26 AM. Reason: I didn't write enough

Default Re: Ok... acidophilius or grapefruit seed extract?

Quote Originally Posted by MomofAaron
    I'm soo confused! DS & I still have thrush, I posted about diflucan the other day but now I have more questions. The Ped prescribed Diflucan to my son and my dr prescribed Diflucan to me. But now my sister in law (a NICU nurse) said NO! Don't do that to his little liver- it is very hard on them. She wants me to try something more natural, which is what some of you were recommending to me.

So, I called my natural food store and they say to start with taking acidophilus. What should I do acidophilus or grapefruit seed extract? Can I still use nystatin with both? What's the difference? which is better? Please help, I'm going ot the natural food store soon. Thank you!

My husband just brought home the Physician's Desk Reference book about medicines from his work and it says diflucan isn't recommended for nursing mothers! Yikes... glad I didn't take it yet, although I know many people do.
    I've never heard of Diflucan being prescribed for an infant .... sounds risky. I'd go with your SIL on that. I took acidophilus, grapefruit seed extract and caprylic acid (AND Diflucan) ... they are all perfectly safe in the recommended doses for thrush. Also, you may want to try Gentian Violet ... I've heard from many moms who had that knock out their thrush quickly.

If the natural remedies don't work, Diflucan IS safe to take while nusing ... here is what Dr Jack Newman, MD says:

Fluconazole does appear in the milk, and this is as it should be, since the idea is to treat infection in the ducts and nipples. It is thus superior to ketoconazole, which gets into the milk in only tiny amounts. The baby will obviously get some, but this drug is now being promoted for use in babies for the treatment of simple thrush. There have been no complications in the baby reported from exposure to fluconazole in the breastmilk. Continue breastfeeding while taking fluconazole, even if you are told that you should stop.

Here are more resources regarding treating thrush, including natural remedies and dosage/application:

Thrush Resources
    ... more than you ever wanted to know about thrush

Oh, and you'll still need to continue treating your son so you don't end up passing it back and forth.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I might try the other methods before trying Gentian Violet. It is seriously messy, not to mention the possible risk. This is from Dr. Sears http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T028100.asp:

Warning – gentian violet has been used for many years to treat thrush. A recent study done in Australia has linked gentian violet to cancer of the mouth. However, many other professionals around the world believe that it is safe, and continue to recommend it. For this reason, we suggest you use this remedy sparingly, and for as little time as possible.

Default Gentian Violet

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399
    I might try the other methods before trying Gentian Violet. It is seriously messy, not to mention the possible risk.
    ... For this reason, we suggest you use this remedy sparingly, and for as little time as possible.
    I agree with this actually. We decided not to try gentian violet ourselves. Mainly because I've heard awful stories about staining. I've never heard about any safety warnings. For thrush it usually is only used as a treatment for a couple of days, so I can't see that it would pose a risk. But, of course, I'm no expert!

La Leche League recommends using gentian violet as a treatment option, and Dr. Jack Newman's site says:

We believe that gentian violet (combined with “all purpose nipple ointment”) is the best treatment of nipple soreness due to Candida albicans for the breastfeeding mother. This is because it works almost always, and relief is rapid. It is messy, and will stain clothing (actually, it usually will wash out), but not skin. The baby's lips will turn purple, but the purple will disappear after a few days. Gentian violet is available without prescription but is not available at all pharmacies. Call around before going out to get it.
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; July 28th, 2006 at 12:54 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I'm terribly confused now. I went to the natural food store because I had a window of time. I was armed with your suggestions. They were telling me NOT To do gentian violet (too hard on baby's mouth?) and not to do grapefruit seed extract. Just acidophilus. Aaaahhhhh!!! I'm so confused! I bought the acidoph but I am reading that it alone probably won't kick this?

Has anyone had good success with acidophilus? Do I just take it or do I also give it to the baby? If so, how? Mine is in a powder form. They told me with water, but I don't even give him water.... never have. Are they weirdos? I can't decide what to try and I'm afraid to try anything for fear of hurting him worse. This website says one treatment is ok and another says it isn't. Aaahhhh again!!!

If the PDR (doctor's guide to medicines) reccommends no diflucan for nursing mothers, how can it be ok? I'm so confused! And my poor son's yeast is multiplying by the minute as I do nothing. (ok I'm being dramatic, but I'm tired of this!)

Thank you for listening.

I'm terribly confused now. I went to the natural food store because I had a window of time. I was armed with your suggestions. They were telling me NOT To do gentian violet (too hard on baby's mouth?) and not to do grapefruit seed extract. Just acidophilus. Aaaahhhhh!!! I'm so confused! I bought the acidoph but I am reading that it alone probably won't kick this?

Has anyone had good success with acidophilus? Do I just take it or do I also give it to the baby? If so, how? Mine is in a powder form. They told me with water, but I don't even give him water.... never have. Are they weirdos? I can't decide what to try and I'm afraid to try anything for fear of hurting him worse. This website says one treatment is ok and another says it isn't. Aaahhhh again!!!

If the PDR (doctor's guide to medicines) reccommends no diflucan for nursing mothers, how can it be ok? I'm so confused! And my poor son's yeast is multiplying by the minute as I do nothing. (ok I'm being dramatic, but I'm tired of this!).
    I would personally trust professional organizations that specialize in breastfeeding and infants, than some clerks at the natural food store. La Leche League, Dr William Sears (this page has more info on recommended treatments for mom and baby, in addition to LLL's and kellymom's site) and Dr Jack Newman (a breastfeeding expert) all recommend Diflucan and Acidopholus. Why did they say no grapefruit seed extract for you? I have found the Nystatin didn't do much to help baby or me. Even LLL's site says it doesn't work well ("some strains of thrush have become resistant to nystatin").

I know it's confusing with all the conflicting advice out there! I wish I could write more, but baby just woke up!

Here's Dr Sears info (with baby's treatment options first, then mom's):

SIX WAYS TO TREAT THRUSH

Acidophilus – this is a powder form of the normal bacteria that live in our mouth and intestines. Click on it to learn how to apply it in baby's mouth.
    Nystatin – this is a prescription antifungal liquid that you either squirt or paint with a Q-tip in baby's mouth four times a day. Continue this for five days after the thrush has cleared since it can be quite stubborn. It is common for thrush to recur, and more than one course of nystatin is often needed. One good aspect of nystatin is that it is not absorbed from baby's intestines into the bloodstream. Rather, it goes right through baby and out in the stool.
    Sterilize bottle nipples or pacifiers – boil them for 20 minutes each day to kill the yeast that may be residing on them.
    Wash toys that baby frequently chews on in hot, soapy water every day.
    Don't forget to treat mom if breastfeeding – see below.
    If the candida is resistant to the standard treatments described above, in consultation with your healthcare provider, try a 0.25 - 0.5 percent solution of gentian violet applied to your nipples twice a day for three days. Gentian violet is effective, but messy. Also, apply a small amount once a day to baby's mouth, but be aware that overuse of gentian violet may irritate the sensitive oral mucus membranes of baby's mouth. Apply Vaseline to baby's lips before using the gentian violet to avoid purple stains.

TREATING CHRONIC YEAST INFECTION OF THE BREAST

If you feel that you have chronic yeast infection of the nipples and/or breasts, here are some steps you can take to eradicate it:

Treat baby – as above, even if baby's thrush has resolved.
    Acidophilus – this is a very important natural remedy for any yeast infection. Click on it to learn how to take it.
    After each nursing, follow these 5 steps:
    Breastmilk – massage a bit into the nipples after nursing, then let air-dry.
    White vinegar – mix a solution of one tablespoon white vinegar in one cup of water. Keep the bottle next to your nursing chair. Dab a bit onto each nipple and let air dry after each nursing.
    Nystatin anti-fungal cream – available by prescription. Apply 2 to 3 times a day to each nipple after nursing.
    Clortrimazole anti-fungal cream – you can use this over-the-counter cream in place of Nystatin. Do not use both!
    Hydrocortisone ointment 2.5% - available by prescription and if recommended by your doctor for severely swollen painful nipples. Apply 2 to 3 times a day when not applying nystatin.
    Diflucan – this is a very strong prescription anti-fungal pill. It can be used under supervision by your OB/GYN or baby's pediatrician to treat very severe and stubborn infections.
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; July 28th, 2006 at 02:38 PM.

I am no expert, however I do not think that Acidophilius on it's own will work. 3 out of my 4 as infants had thrush, I used the Gentian Violet, it is messy but it works. It worked much faster than the nystatin did for us too.

From what I understand Acidophillius is good to take when you are on antibiotics to help Prevent a yeast infection (although check with your Dr. because you have to space the two out). We do keep acidophillus on hand for this and for whenever the kiddos get a stomach virus it is good stuff. Hope you guys get better soon.

I took Diflucan at the recommendation of my OB and Pediatrician. I wouldn't give anything directly to my baby, but I was told that the acidophilus would pass from me to the baby, so I take a daily dose - although mine is a capsule, not a powder. I have heard great things about grapefruit seed extract, but have not tried it myself, although I understand that to be more of a healing element than the acidophilus - which can help maintain your yeast levels after getting rid of the Thrush - but I am no doctor. Personally I would take the Diflucan and follow with daily acidophilus. I hope this helps, I know how uncomfortable it can be.

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Thumbs up Re: Ok... acidophilius or grapefruit seed extract?

Has anyone had good success with acidophilus? Do I just take it or do I also give it to the baby? If so, how? Mine is in a powder form. They told me with water, but I don't even give him water.... never have. Are they weirdos? I can't decide what to try and I'm afraid to try anything for fear of hurting him worse. This website says one treatment is ok and another says it isn't.
    I'm not a doctor, but here's what I've learned over the years...

Acidophilus is fine for you to take... many people take it as a daily supplement. Acidophilus is the bacteria that grows in your intestines, so taking it makes sure the "good" bacteria in your digestive system are plentiful. It is especially important to take when you have been on antibiotics or had a high fever (both kill off the good bacteria), or if you are constipated or have diarrhea, that is usually a sign of an imbalance, as well.

As far as giving it to your baby, I wouldn't Acidolphilus is not naturally occuring in a baby's gut. They don't start making acidophilus until they're over a year old. But, what a baby DOES have in there intestines is a bacteria called Biphodis (pronounced BIFF-uh-diss). So, you could very safely give your baby biphodis. (sp?)

At the health food store, you can buy biphidus in the refrigerated supplement section. Or, sometime it's referred to as ABC-dophilus or Baby-dophilus. On the instructions on the back, you'll see that it's safe to give a newborn, and they should start by getting 1/16th of a teaspoon per day, and up to 1/4 of a teaspoon.

I started giving my 6-week old biphidus after I spent a week on antibiotics. I express some breastmilk into a spoon with the powder, mix it up, and spoon feed it to him. They really don't need more than a tiny bit of liquid ... just enough to mix up the powder. It's such a little amount, that if you wanted to use water, it wouldn't be a big deal. (I just used EBM since it's a familiar taste)

I give my DS biphodis every day now that I think about it, and am not feeling lazy.

Don't expect much support or info from the medical community on this. It's fairly alternative. My doctor told me, "I can't say that it will HELP your baby, but it certainly can't HURT him."

Hope that helps!!

Ok, I tend to think all of the options you have are very safe. I tend to err on the side of natural treatments...avoiding prescriptions whenever possible. But if you decide to use Diflucan, I'm sure it's pretty safe if recommeded by several doctors.

But as far as natural options go, I've heard many success stories using GSE and gentian violet. But I'm sure you'll be ok if you opt out of the gentian violet. Definitely use a probiotic, both for you and baby. I take one every day to avoid even getting yeast, and I give it to my dd daily, since she was 1 month old. However, make sure to get a baby version for kids under 2(they sell it at Whole Foods). The flora in the gut of babies is different from that of adults. This is all per my naturopathic doctor. With taking daily probiotics, we've never had any thrush problems.