Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Close to being weaned - suggestions on dropping morning session

Default Close to being weaned - suggestions on dropping morning session

I started to cut back on one session every other week to very gradually wean DS. He has been surprisingly ok without nursing before bed, and it has now been about 4 days without him asking at night, which I am honestly shocked by. The next and last one to go is the first morning nursing when he wakes up. I used to nurse him first thing, and now I have him play in his crib for about 15 minutes before I get him so he does not associate waking up with nursing as much.

I still really want to cuddle with him in the mornings, and look forward to it every morning, so I am not sure how to drop the nursing but still keep the cuddling? He is not into being held much while drinking from his cup.

I appreciate any suggestions as we are getting closer - I think I will be in shock when he is finally weaned
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

Default Re: Close to being weaned - suggestions on dropping morning session

I've been wondering about something similar, only for us it would be the 530 pm session I'd like to drop (and it is nowhere near the last one). I've been thinking about snuggling while reading books. Please let me know if you have any good tips or distractions!

Could you still cuddle him in a non-nursing place, like the floor? Maybe you could snuggle and talk about the day ahead and then get him dressed. (Lots of physical contact) And then maybe a horsie ride into the kitchen? Sometimes R wants to stay latched on longer than I can wait for my coffee and a horsie ride is how I get us moving.

what worked for us was a short change in routine.
    get up before toddler does and in a few days he will not expect to nurse then.
    You can do it.

What worked for me with DS1 was offering him something to eat as soon as he woke up since he was used to waking up and nursing. He loved bananas so I would put a banana on my nightstand after he went to sleep and offer it as soon as he woke up. When his tummy had some food in it he was less likely to want to nurse and was content with sitting in my lap to eat.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Thanks for the tips! I think I will try to banana one this week and see how it goes.
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies