Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Only 3 days and this!

Default Re: Only 3 days and this!

Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by CALsEPmom View Post
    My DD was born 3 days ago. I feel as though she's been attached at the boob since she was born. Which I really can't complain b/c I think its great she is such an awesome nurser!
    Congratulations!

The only thing is my poor nips can't handle much more. Crying or Very sad They're already cracked & bleeding. It hurts the entire time she's nursing...15-20 mins at each breast for 2 turns! So, it takes a full hour and fifteen minutes for her to finish a session and then she's ready to go again just a couple hours later. I've already gone through a tube of lanolin, tried the tea bags, I've been walking around w/out a shirt on since we've been home from the hospital to air these puppies out...but nothing seems to be helping. I resorted to pumping today and let my DH feed her a bottle.
    Cals, some discomfort during the first few seconds of nursing can be normal for some mothers, especially in the first few days. However, pain during the entire feeding and cracked/bleeding nipples signals that something more is going on, most likely an issue with positioning/latch. We can offer information and support here online, but we are limited as to the level of help we can provide since we cannot see what is happening when your baby nurses. Could you see an IBCLC locally (maybe your hospital/birth center has one on staff?)? I would also suggest calling your local LLL Leader.
    Find an IBCLC near you
    Find an LLL Leader near you

How many wet and poopy diapers is your baby having per 24 hours? How many times total in 24 hours is she nursing? Does every feed take over an hour?

Are you at all engorged?

What are you currently doing to treat your sore nipples?

Here are two (non-LLL) videos that you might find helpful--they show how to position baby and acheive a comfortable, effective latch.
    Latch on how to
    15 minutes of breastfeeding help

And here are a few helpful articles about latch:
    The World of Latch-On: One Leader’s Journey (a technical article about latch--what works, what doesn't)
    Your Baby’s “Feeding Sequence” (an explanation of how babies latch on)
    Infant Self-Attachment

I feel like such a failure. Its all I can do to not cry now just thinking about it. I feel as though I've let her down in some way. I've given up on her or something. And its not her at all! Its me! I feel like such a big baby...but man alive, its excruciating. I think I'm going to try those nipple shields to see if they work...if not, I don't really know what else to do. I guess I'll have to pump full time. I really didn't want to do that...I did for an entire year with my DS b/c of latch issues...but I really was looking forward to the whole nursing experience with DD. Any tips, advice?
    You're not a failure. You are in pain and you feel worried and frustrated as things aren't going as well as you had hoped.

Remember that most often, the cure for sore nipples is good positioning and effective latch. Please do seek local breastfeeding support and keep us updated!

Hi,

I've completely been there and totally sympathize with you. I had the same exact problems.

A breastfeeding consultant recommended Soothies and they really helped heal my nipples. You can get them at any drug store, they are safe for babies, and they enable your breasts to heal while wearing clothes (I too walked around topless for a week or so to let my nipples heal!)

Good luck. Once you get past the first two weeks of learning how to breastfeed, it really is a wonderful experience. I just remember that learning curve being painful though.

-Maria

to be helping. I resorted to pumping today and let my DH feed her a bottle. I feel like such a failure Its all I can do to not cry now just thinking about it. I feel as though I've let her down in some way. I've given up on her or something. And its not her at all! Its me! I feel like such a big baby...but man alive, its excruciating. I think I'm going to try those nipple shields to see if they work...if not, I don't really know what else to do. I guess I'll have to pump full time. I really didn't want to do that...I did for an entire year with my DS b/c of latch issues...but I really was looking forward to the whole nursing experience with DD. Any tips, advice?
    First you are not a failure at all

It sounds exactly like what I went through. I was ready to give up - felt so sad and cried every day that went by us while I pumping to feed my LO. I nursed the first 7 days and was in agony. Milk was not flowing, she was a strong nurser from the beginning (tore me up) and her latch was all wrong.

I pumped and fed her. Then I would try to squeeze in a bf here an there and would pretty much feel like a failure after each attempt. I bottle fed expressed milk for a good 10 days without even attempting bf. My breasts were so sore, I could not put on clothes, bra - even the air hurt. I was hunched when I walked and showered. Everyone had something to say, some little tip and nothing seemed to work. The LC did not help either.

Eventually I tried to bf twice a day, when in pain, I stopped and had a bottle back up so that LO was not in tears. I also used organic apple cider vinegar on each nipple after every pumping and feeding, which I air dried. I washed it off with water before pumping and feeding. 3rd week is when things eased a bit and I tried bfing again. Here and there....suddenly 4th week, I bfed an entire day and have not looked back since than.

I won't suggest this to anyone that is not familiar with essential oils - however I used a mixture of Lavender and Helichrysum italicum Essential Oils on my nipples. I did dilute it with organic olive oil and it really helped me since mass produced creams, ointments and lanolin did not help at all. Again, please do not use essential oils unless you have an expert guiding you or you have been using them regularly.

All I can say is - you need time (no matter what products you use). In time the nipples get harder, the LOs mouth grows a tad, LO gets better at it, you get more comfortable with the bfing etc.

Hang in there, sending you positive thoughts!

Kay

P.S: I talked to my LO (have been doing it from the beginning), I tell her to open wide, it hurts, let's try it again, great latch, you got it etc. so that she gets used to hearing my needs. Now when I say open wide, she opens her mouth as wide as she can.

Cool Re: Only 3 days and this!

Honestly, I had that problem, too, and had my cousin not told me to tough it out for 2 weeks, it will get better, I would have quit! Just know that you will get through this, if you can make it past the two week mark, it does get better! Good luck!
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

Congratulations on your baby! Two things that I heard i regards to breastfeeding that were the best help ever:
    1- Breastfeeding shouldn't hurt. If it does, contact a lactation consultant and get help. It's probably a latch issue.

2- As the pp have suggested, rub a drop of breastmilk on your nipples after each feeding. It's the best salve out there. I've done it since day one and have never had cracking or blistering.

Hang in there! The first few weeks are the most difficult and the first days even more so as your body is recovering from birth and hormones are wild. You're doing a great job!!!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008