Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why is Bf a 6 month old a bad thing??!!!

Unhappy why is Bf a 6 month old a bad thing??!!!

I get soooo many comments , you are still BF and when are you going to use a bottle?
    I say I like BF and not right now. I am just so erked that people think it's there business and make me feel it's not right to BF my baby anymore.
    I was going through a confidence high and now its back to being shaken again. I feel like I need to prepare a speech each time someone says you are still BF!! YEs I am, I care enough to be close to my baby!!!!

Sorry I just need to vent. DO you have stories to share or tips!!!

JC's MOM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: why is Bf a 6 month old a bad thing??!!!

I hear you and I am going through the same thing. Just yesterday I was at the barber with my DH and his barber, a woman, was appalled that I was still nursing DD who is about to turn 6 months. Also amazed that I didn't have the child on cereal yet, according to her I should have her on it from 3 months She was trying to convince DH that breastmilk is just not filling enough and that is why she is waking during the night, so basically I am starving our DD! DH said, well, the child is 17lbs so it doesn't appear she has missed too many meals! I too get soooooooo tired of having to defend my position that I just don't anymore. She will start solids soon but not at the expense of b/f which should be first and foremost on her menu. I know what I am doing is the best for my baby so I don't feel the need to justify my position anymore. Be confident in your choices b/c you are doing the best thing possible, don't let others who are not as educated about b/f to change your mind. I was bummed about this woman's comments but my DH said to me, "opinions are like *******s (hope I can say that) everyone has them. You should have seen the look on her face when I told her you were going to b/f DD for 12 months!"
    Be strong in your beliefs, you are doing the best thing for your LO, don't let anyone tell you different

What you are experiencing is pretty normal, unfortunately.

La Leche League's website has a great resource to help with criticism:

How do I respond to and avoid criticism about breastfeeding?

For those who are criticizing you for nursing your little one past 6 months, I think the best thing to do is respond with a statement like, "The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that "breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired." The World Health Organization recommends that babies be breastfed for at least two years." If you educate them and quote authorities on the subject it's kind of hard for them to argue with you about it. Another tactic is to just tell them that while you appreciate their concern, you've done your research and it is what works for you and your family. One of the most fun (insert maniacal laugh here) is to use humor and laugh it off, ""Well I doubt that she'll go to college nursing, but this is the best thing I can do right now to make sure she does go to college!" Or act like they are complimenting you when they ask if you are still nursing your baby ... wear a huge smile and respond, "Yes, isn't it wonderful!"

Here are some more great resources:

This site has a whole list of other links with responses and comebacks:
    Responses and Comebacks
    Handling criticism about breastfeeding

The one I am hearing most often these days is, "You STILL aren't giving that baby REAL food?" Or when they ask (this is most often my in-laws) "What else are you giving her to eat?" and I say, "Breast Milk," they keep asking, "AND??" ... "And breast milk." (Note: they wanted to give her ICE CREAM - and she has a milk allergy / and will be vegan - when she was 5 months old ). I usually get positive responses from most people though. We just had a little party here and a friend's husband asked if I was still exclusively breastfeeding (his wife quit at 3 months), and he replied with much enthusiasm, "Wow ... that's hard work, good for you." Those kind of comments make all the other ignorant remarks disappear in my mind.

Good luck ... you are giving your baby a priceless gift in nursing him/her.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Angry Re: why is Bf a 6 month old a bad thing??!!!

My DD is 3 weeks old today. I had to take her birth certificate to work yesterday because that is required for me to add her to my insurance policy by the time she is 30 days old. I ran into a girl I know, whose parenting I have never agreed with (smoking the entire 9 months she was pg) said, "you're nursing? Why would you do that to yourself?" I calmly replied, "Because it's the best gift/nutrition that I can give to my little girl!!"
    I wanted to say, "how could you have smoked the entire time you were pg? HOw could I not give her the healthiest thing on the planet for her??

People kill me!! We live in such a self-centered/selfish society that it sickens me!
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-06) 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 lbs 14 oz at 1 year

Our little Angel, Henry James, grew his wings December 14, 2007

I just found this web page that list 101 reasons to Breastfeed. Just to assure you that there is nothing wrong with bf a 6 month old infact it's the best thing you can do. When my mother had us they wouldn't let her bf because then they said formula was better. So a lot of people from that generation tend to think along the same lines. Just blow it off to ignorance, and I wouldn't let it upset you, it's not worth your time to try to convince ignorant people!

We are the only species on the planet that drinks another species' milk. To me that's not natural! How I look at it is "why give imitation food to your baby when we moms were made to give them the REAL thing". I understand that BF is not right for everyone and it's great that parents have a choice BUT don't question my decision to do what's CLEARLY best for my baby when I am not allowed to question them on their decisions! Like the PP stated about the woman who smoked throughout her pregnancy...Why is it so inappropriate to question her ethics when she can't keep her own mouth shut.

Our latest story (of sooo many):
    We were at a restaurant and a woman in a booth behind us noticed our DS Luke (3.5 mos old). He's been showing signs of teething so was drooling and had his fists in his mouth. She took this as "He's starving; he need real food". And she put a french fry to his mouth! She was offended when I told her we were not ready to start any solids (and I wanted to add that french fries would not be part of the menu when we did ---but refrained). DS is >97% in weight and length, obviously he's not wanting for anything!
    Last edited by luke's mom; July 28th, 2006 at 10:09 AM.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Don't let anyone discourage you or bring you down from your joy of b/f your baby! It is AWESOME that you're planning to do so, no one should tell you otherwise.

Sometimes I think people feel guilty for not doing so or they think b/f people are all weirdo hippies. I just wonder sometimes, why is formula the norm?? Like the pp said, our modern American society we are the only species that doesn't feed our own milk as a norm. As someone else said, I understand that some people can't or choose not to, but darn it, leave me alone for choosing to do something really great for my baby!

I get a lot of comments from people, too- especially if I mention to anyone that I'm in a difficult b/f period. "Oh, why don't you just give up?" and things like that. Gee, thanks for the encouragement! I know of a lot of people that have difficulty finding the right formula for their baby due to allergies etc, also!

Anyway, sometimes it is just easier to disarm people say "Thanks for the idea, I'll consider it" and then ignore them rather than argue. My dad was famous for that- you'd give him advice, he'd say "thanks!" and then never use it. But you couldn't keep arguing with him because he didn't argue about it! That way, people don't keep discussing it with you, you just cut off their chance.

Luke's Mom- I CAN'T Believe someone put a fry in your son's mouth!!! What is up with that? People are so bold with other people's babies, aren't they?
    By the way, I talked to my Ped about the drooling and fist chewing (remember a while back we were both on a post comparing notes that our 3.5mo old sons were doing that and thought it might be teething?) My ped said yesterday that it isn't teething- it's just a "baby thing" and the little chicklet squares in the front of his gums aren't indicative of him teething yet. Not sure about your son, but that's what he told me about Aaron. Just thought you might want to know!

Thanks Aaron's mom! It does make more sense. It's hard to believe that they would be actively "teething" for 3-6 mos.

One more thing...Has any of you asked a mom who FF "Why are you using formula?" It seems an odd question yet it's so commonplace for a FF parent to ask "why are you BF?" This is a real sore spot for me. When I let my DS run into traffic or play with the alligators in the ponds near us then they can butt in and suggest I do things a little different! Otherwise, leave the parenting of OUR child to US ---I'm not harming him. That's what boobs were made for

OK, I'll get off my soap box

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Aaron & Luke's moms--I couldn't agree more about how bold people are w/other people's children. My MIL told me when my son was 4 months old that he was fat & she couldn't believe the dr. hadn't put him on a diet yet. Then, when I left the table to go to the ladies' room she fed my son strawberries, which we now know he is allergic to, and DH let her. He didn't know any better but I still wanted to kill them both!!
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-06) 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 lbs 14 oz at 1 year

Our little Angel, Henry James, grew his wings December 14, 2007

A french fry!!!! OH my and how did she think that was better than BF???
    Hmm, people ARE uneducated.
    That does make sence that some people may feel guilty but I don't care that my mom gave me formula, that was her decision and this is mine.
    Plus, my child loves to go to other people and this is another way I can have my baby back in my arms. I think it's a wonderful bonding experience too.

I will check out those web sites they sound wonderful!!
    I want our baby to have breast milk at least for a year it is so natural.
    Use what God gave you!!!

That is a good question, why are you using Formula (lol) I love it!!