Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: losing interest in feeding :(

Default losing interest in feeding :(

my 4 1/2 month old ds seems to be losing interest in feeding. nursing less frequently, and only for like 5-10 min. max! diaper output is still good, but i still worry, cuz it's been so hot lately thought he might be extrra thirsty, but it's the complete opposite. plus he has a cold and pedi. said to feed more frequently, but he won't. this is a 1st for my chunky monkey who prior too, used to never turned down a boob offer.

at my mommy and me class today, a mom mentioned reading in a bk that 4 month olds go thru a stage for abt 2 weeks where this happens. anyone else experience this? or have advice?
    tia

Default Re: losing interest in feeding :(

im having the same issues in a way. its like 100 out and my little one will eat like every 2hrs or so but i just dont want ds to get dehydrated. but im not to worried cos he lets me know when hes hungry and the diaper output is good. the only thing that gets me is he will eat for 5-20min but it used to be longer like 30-60. i wouldnt worry too much. my lo is sleeping more but i would too since its soooo hot. hes only 2months hang in there

at 4 months this is completely normal. My LO did the same thing, and I was afraid he was weaning. Well here we are at 18 months and going strong. At that age they are just more interested in taking in everything around them. They "awaken" to the world around them more, and pull off to look around. My LO reversed cycled for awhile at that time. He wouldn't nurse much during the day, but wanted to nurse all night. WHat you could do is try to nurse in a quiet dark place with little distractions. Also nurse when your LO is sleepy (just going down or just waking up). Also, you can get nursing necklaces (some mamas on here sell them) or just wear an interesting necklace that you know is strong enough. It will give them something to look at and play with while nursing. It will pass, and nursing will pick up. Especially when they start hitting milestones. Trust me, your LO's will not wean themselves at that age.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynK View Post
    at 4 months this is completely normal. My LO did the same thing, and I was afraid he was weaning. Well here we are at 18 months and going strong. At that age they are just more interested in taking in everything around them. They "awaken" to the world around them more, and pull off to look around. My LO reversed cycled for awhile at that time. He wouldn't nurse much during the day, but wanted to nurse all night. WHat you could do is try to nurse in a quiet dark place with little distractions. Also nurse when your LO is sleepy (just going down or just waking up). Also, you can get nursing necklaces (some mamas on here sell them) or just wear an interesting necklace that you know is strong enough. It will give them something to look at and play with while nursing. It will pass, and nursing will pick up. Especially when they start hitting milestones. Trust me, your LO's will not wean themselves at that age.
    thanks for the encouraging words.
    just wondering, but is this going to affect my supply?? did you pump to keep it going?
    my ds has definitely taken to noticing the world around him. i nurse him in a rocking chair that has him looking towards a wall, but he'll still pop off just to look at me (and i can't help but smile and laugh when he looks up at me like that...so cute ) ...or he'll turn completely to check out what's behind him....nosey little guy. heehee
    he does feed much better at night (gobbles down) but not more frequently. same as usual.

I agree w/ PP that it is really normal for the age. DD started being way more efficient around 4 months (and yes, I was just as concerned about it as you are) and still only eats for 3-5 minutes at a time. I never did pump or anything. I just trusted that she would eat when hungry and she's almost 8 months now and still gaining fine. So, don't worry

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by lesdrunk View Post
    im having the same issues in a way. its like 100 out and my little one will eat like every 2hrs or so but i just dont want ds to get dehydrated. but im not to worried cos he lets me know when hes hungry and the diaper output is good. the only thing that gets me is he will eat for 5-20min but it used to be longer like 30-60. i wouldnt worry too much. my lo is sleeping more but i would too since its soooo hot. hes only 2months hang in there
    yea,...he's on...then off...so quick...but i guess since that diaper output is okay, we're okay.
    my ds isn't sleeping more, but he used to have a verrrrrrrrrrrrry difficult time going down for naps/sleep and lately it's been so much easier. not sure if it's because of the heat and he's more tired or if it's an age thing and my lo is passing that phase and already growing up!

I've been having low supply problems for the last weeks or so and I thought I wouldn't be able to get my lo to help out by nursing frequently bc he's moving now and everything else is so much more interesting. Since last night though, once I get home, I take of my shirt and bra and go naked waist up and it seems to be helping bc even though he'll go and play if he so much and turns and sees a boob he'll come and crawl back and latch on. And this lasts for quite a few minutes because once he sees one nipple he'll notice the other and wants that one too So I'd say try it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    I agree w/ PP that it is really normal for the age. DD started being way more efficient around 4 months (and yes, I was just as concerned about it as you are) and still only eats for 3-5 minutes at a time. I never did pump or anything. I just trusted that she would eat when hungry and she's almost 8 months now and still gaining fine. So, don't worry

I argee. Around that age my lo got totally interested in everythng else and got very fast and effiecent at nursing. Its totally normal to nurse for less than a 5 min a feeding at that age. I never pumped to maintain supply either.. I did offer the boob every 1.5-2 hours because it seemed my lo would get so interested in other things she would forget to nurse. So I wouldn't bother pumping but just offer the breast often!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!