Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to give water

Default when to give water

Hi,

My DD is 8 mos old. She is still predominately (almost exclusively) BF. We live in Vegas & its getting hot! When (or if) should DD drink water? if any, how much?

TIA

Default Re: when to give water

My ped said 8 ounces a day my DS is 9m. He only drinks about 21 a day so maybe I'll give him 2-4oz a day. He is only 19 pounds so I don't think he'll be3 getting enough calories she also want me to add a 3rd meal I think I'll hold off on that too

Not needed:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...aby-water.html

Breastfed babies do not need water - keep in mind that breastmilk is 88% water. Even in the first few days after birth, before mom's milk has "come in", colostrum is all that is needed to keep baby well hydrated (assuming baby is nursing effectively). Per the American Academy of Pediatrics, "Supplements (water, glucose water, formula, and other fluids) should not be given to breastfeeding newborn infants unless ordered by a physician when a medical indication exists... During the first 6 months of age, even in hot climates, water and juice are unnecessary for breastfed infants and may introduce contaminants or allergens."

In addition, breastfed babies do not require water when it is very hot outside, assuming baby is allowed to nurse as needed. Baby can get all the liquids needed via breastmilk. A number of studies have determined that an exclusively breastfed baby does not need extra water - these studies have been done in various locations (both humid and dry) at temperatures ranging from 22-41°C (71.6-105.8°F) and 9-96% relative humidity
    Mom certainly needs to stay VERY well hydrated!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

thanks for the great post lsksam! DH was just telling me that DD "needed" to be getting more fluids other than bm. But, it looks like mama was right
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

I believe that the quotes are for if you lo is on bm old.
    "A number of studies have determined that an exclusively breastfed baby does not need extra water - these studies have been done in various locations (both humid and dry) at temperatures ranging from 22-41°C (71.6-105.8°F) and 9-96% relative humidity "
    The addition of solids adds extra work on to the kidneys. (I read this in Super baby foods). So it might not hurt to offer a little water (I would do no more than 4 oz) when it is hot out. So if you lo is on solids too I would call the ped and ask.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

i don't give my baby water b/c i think he's thirsty or anything- he's not that interested in solids yet.

but when we go out (walk/mall/shopping/car trip) i bring a sippie cup w/ water.

he loves to play w/ it and will manage to drink 1 oz (at most) during the trip and loves having his own...since he always tries to drink out of my water bottle!

i do it more for fun - and he will and can drink out of my bottle - but it's only a few sips here or there.

esp. when it's very hot (i'm in so. california) - i'll give it to him and he plays w/ the sippie cup and gets a little sip here or there.

my pedi. said that once they are eating more solids - it's good to have a little water to help their kidneys process the foods better...which makes sense.

but our milk should be enough (foremilk - watery/hindmilk - fatty) for them.

WAHM and exclusively breastfeeding my naturally born son since 9/25/07.

i've given my 5 1/2 month old a bit of water. maybe an ounce at most. just in his sippy cup because he likes to feel like a big boy.

Hi, I gave my lo water just for fun around 5 months. She always wanted sips out of my cup. I thought what the heck why not and she really enjoyed it.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

At 8months we only gave DS water to sip when he was eating meals. We wanted him to associate drinking water with meal times. He's 2.5 years old and he only drinks water with his meals. And only drinks water and breast milk 98% of the time. During the summer, when it was 95 degrees in my house because we don't have AC, we would just flip on the breast more often so he would get more of the foremilk. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula