Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sigh...

Default Sigh...

DD (26.5 months) is taking a nap. For the first time in her napping life, she fell asleep without nursing. She also skipped her wake-up nursing session because she was playing with grandma. DD did have her mid-morning nursing session, but this is the first time I've only nursed her once during the course of a day. I can see that weaning her now wouldn't be hard. And if she does wean I would get so much freedom back- someone else could put her down for a nap, or put her to bed...

And yet I would miss it so... I'm conflicted. In the beginning, when nursing was so hard, I couldn't wait for it to be done. And now I don't know if I want it to end!

I know these feelings are normal- but it's so much easier to tell other people that than to experience it myself!

Default Re: Sigh...

Wow, that is a big milestone! It sounds like the two of you are doing very well--you meeting her needs and your LO growing up.

I agree it is so very hard. I keep wanting to drop a feeding (DS is 32 months old now) but then can't bring myself to do it.

How are things going now?

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post
    How are things going now?
    Thanks for asking! DD snapped back to her usual schedule after a couple of days of being at Granny and Granpa's house. She's back to nursing 3-5 times a day.

I'm still conflicted. After seeing how DD can go without nursing, and seeing how liberating it would be for me to wean her, I am half wanting to wean and half wanting to keep going. On the one hand, I long to wear a normal cute bra instead of a serviceable, raggedy nursing bra. And I want to go travelling with my DH for a couple days, and leave DD with her grandparents. On the other hand... Immunological benefits. The sweetness of a nursing toddler. The way I can get DD to calm down from a tantrum or a hurt with a simple snap of the bra.

I think we'll keep going for now. DD is starting the potty-training process and I don't want her to have to deal with too many changes at once.

We are down to 1-2 sessions (if you can call them that) per day. At first, it was really hard for me. But like you said, liberating. I was scared though, because once a day is so close to NONE per day. And that really made me scared. But I realized there are lots of extended nursers that nurse once a week, some once every two weeks.

Since my son has cut back (due to the pregnancy) he has really picked up affection in other ways: hugs, kisses, etc. And shares that affection with my husband more now too. So there are positives to these changes.

Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    I'm still conflicted. After seeing how DD can go without nursing, and seeing how liberating it would be for me to wean her, I am half wanting to wean and half wanting to keep going. On the one hand, I long to wear a normal cute bra instead of a serviceable, raggedy nursing bra. And I want to go travelling with my DH for a couple days, and leave DD with her grandparents. On the other hand... Immunological benefits. The sweetness of a nursing toddler. The way I can get DD to calm down from a tantrum or a hurt with a simple snap of the bra.
    Awe,

I understand where you are coming from. I have been there. I think you might make it a bit easier on yourself if you don't look at nursing as an all-or-nothing thing. At this age, you probably could leave her with her grandparents for an overnight with your hubby without too much trouble. You could also plan your days to include more fun "big girl" activities and less nursing...especially now that the weather is warmer. You wouldn't have to wean completely to experience a little bit of that freedom you are craving, and you and dd would still reap the benefits of continued breastfeeding.

And, IMHO, you should set aside some money and buy yourself a pretty, new nursing bra.