Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never took a bottle. How do I wean? Confused...

Default Never took a bottle. How do I wean? Confused...

My lo is 13 months old, and he never took a bottle. He has been ebf the whole time. He drinks water from a sippy cup and generally sips throughout the day, taking maybe 8-10 oz.

He bfs 4 times each day-- when he gets up, before both naps, and before bedtime.

I have no idea how to wean him. I've read a lot about the "how to," but a lot of it is geared to babies who have taken a bottle and are used to something other than the breast.

What is the best way to start weaning? Please, any help would be appreciated. I am quite in the dark!

Default Re: Never took a bottle. How do I wean? Confused...

Read through this first: http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp
    Then see if any of this resonates: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBweaning.html

He is already night weaned, so that's not really an issue.

I'm more confused about doing the "don't offer the breast," but offering the sippy cup instead. He doesn't really take more than a few sips.

You could also try water rich foods such as watermelon.

Have you tried a regular cup instead of a sippy? Does your baby cue to nurse when you are outside? I found that a natural deterant was to keep bb distracted.

Believe it or not, I just posted a "watermelon" issue on the allergy board the other day. We are on the same page in terms of what to offer--however, his face gets very blotchy and rashy with watermelon. Kind of frustrating.

He likes drinking from a regular cup, but I'm more concerned with getting him to take the appropriate amount of milk (or soy, in our case).

I feel like I know generally "how to wean" and I realize it would be much different if he had taken a bottle, but I can't seem to find a clear path to what to do with the little guy.

That's difficult. I offer soy as well due to a myriad of allergies. In fact I have to be totally honest and tell you that one of the reasons I am glad to offer to nurse still is that he is so incredibly difficult to feed.
    Are you just feeling "done" with nursing now? Maybe because of all the problems arising you could put it off for a few more months. 13 months is still young, and as they get older ( I'm sure you know all this) it becomes easier to introduce new ways of eating ect.
    Allergic to watermelon- oh man, thats sad!
    Is it all melons? Have you done a bunch of the allergy forum reading yet? Was it an organic watermelon? Some babies are more sensitive to the sprays used on regular veggies. -just an idea. Contact allergies are a drag, but they are also useful. I can touch any given food on my son and know if it will cause a problem even before he eats it.

Yes, I'm definitely feeling drained and am ready to wean. It's not easy!

Yes, it seems to be all melon--however, according to a post on the allergy board, melon is one of those problematic foods. Go figure-- I had no idea!

I have found as my boys have weaned themselves, with very little pushing from me, that their consumption of other liquids increased on its own. I have to remember to offer fluids in a sippy or other cup, a straw cup being a favorite of both kids, but the amount has not been a problem over time. They will drink if they are thirsty.

For milk, I offer a cup with each meal. Between, they have cups of water available to drink from. They also both learned early on to get a cup for themselves (I keep children's dishes in a low cabinet) and bring it to me, which I then fill with water.

I only nurse when my youngest is persistent about asking to nurse now. Don't offer, don't refuse. Otherwise, I hand him a cup and try to distract him from me. If he won't give up, I go ahead and let him nurse.

Does that make sense?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the advice--I will try the soy at mealtime and leave water in a sippy cup (which I already do) at other times. I appreciate the help!

I'm in a similar situation - my DS will only take a bottle from his caregiver, not from me or DH. I would like to wean soon but am not sure how to do this when he will not take a bottle from me and has no interest in drinking from a sippy - he only chews on it. He will take sips from a regular cup, but this seems to be an excessively messy way of getting him to drink. He is almost a year and eats three good meals of solids a day, but I worry that he won't get enough liquids if I stop BF. Any ideas?

Also, for those of you who have weaned, at what point did your LO stop having that last drink before bed?